Engine wont start up?

WILLIAMRADER
  • 1989 HONDA CIVIC
I changed the plugs and dis cap rotor bug and know car wont start if you hold the key on it will start and run but the starter is still engaged
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 3:08 PM

2CEXPT
Check if you're getting power to the ignition coil when key at run position if not the primary circuit from the coil to the ignition switch is open or the ignition switch itself. If okay his sounds like a fuel pump or the distributor has gone out. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
KROE
  • 1989 HONDA CIVIC
1989 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I will be driving my car and all of a sudden it will just die on me and not start up again for sometimes 30 minutes or more. When I do get it started the car will rev up and slow down rev up and slow down and then eventually shut off again. I have replaced spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, fuel pump, fuel filter and a new battery so I am at a loss at what the problem may be, Do you have any suggestions?
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:55 PM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Re-verify the fuel pressure if its within specs even though the fuel pump is new.

Test the coil primary and secondary resistances and also test the crank angle sensor in the distributor

Or when it shutdown immediately look for fuel and spark one of this is gonna be missing preventing it from starting
SANTOLINA
  • 1989 HONDA CIVIC
So, it started fine, right away, stopped, did my errands and would not start. Turns over just fine. Then it finally started, parked, started right up and then had the same problem again. Fuel pump? And how hard is it to change it. Think it is in the gas tank, if what I have read is correct.I am a girl, so make it REALLY simple for me. And THANKS!
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:56 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi santolina,

Symptoms seems to indicate a fuel problem but I would not go to it first. Check the PGM-FI main relay first. Remove it and check the circuit board for cold solders ( minute cracks ) and resolder them if they don't look good. That should solve the problem if it is the cause of the fuel pump not working.
F4I_GUY
Are you getting any codes? The red light on the ECU will be flashing the code number if you do.

Did you do any work to the engine before hand? Or did it stall out on you? Did it just not start one morning? I need more info.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:58 PM (Merged)
TAZIIKESTO
Don't know about the codes, I need to check that.
No, I haven't had any work done on it. I do know about cars that is why this has got me stumped.
Car was running very well till one day I was driving to the bank and it stall at a light. And when I got it restarted it belched and big black cloud and went onto the bank and when I came out the car would not start and after maybe 45 min. I got it started, made it home shut it off and it hasn't started since.
Thanks for your help
F4I_GUY
The big black puff was excess fuel being burnt.

Few things to check would be:

Strong spark (bright, white/blue spark)
Proper fuel pressure
Your injectors are not stuck open
Mechanical and ignition timing are still set properly.
TAZIIKESTO
How do you know if it is stuck open? If it isn't obvious when it is out. Do you test to see if it is stuck open. If so, how do you test them.
I know older cars but when they start with injectors and having computers I am at a lost.
F4I_GUY
Well any easy way would be to listen to each injector with a stethoscope. They should all 'tick' at the same rate. This isn't an accuarate test whatsoever but with no diagnostic tools this is all you can do at your house. If an injector is stuck open it will tick very slowly, or won't tick at all. Keep in mind, it may still be stuck open at times if it does pass this test.

But I would look at the other possibly causes first before looking at injectors.
TAZIIKESTO
I can't do that cuz the car does not run.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:59 PM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
Well then check fuel and spark.
TAZIIKESTO
Engine has spark, has fuel pressure, main fuel relay tests good, timing belt is good, engine has compression, engine turns over but won't start.
F4I_GUY
What fuel pressure are you getting at the rail?

What colour was the spark that you saw? Was it to each spark plug wire? Just because you saw spark, doesn't mean it's strong enough to ignite the mixture.

Further more, when you crank, do you smell fuel at all?
FAMPARKS
  • 1988 HONDA CIVIC
I have the wagon, 1.5L. I visually see the injectors shooting fuel into the throttle body. I verified spark from all 4 spark plugs. I have compression. I have plenty of juice. I turns over but just won't fire. The triangle is complete and yet won't start. This one is blowing my mind. And no codes on the computer either. Does anyone have any ideas or should I start looking for gremlins.
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

You may just have very fouled spark plugs, change them and do a static ignition timing check as well

ROBERT CRUZ
1998 have promblem with the ignition switch push forword and relase gente and will start
FAMPARKS
I put brand new spark plugs in the car. I was thinking the same thing, but did not change condition.
KHLOW2008
Hi famparks,

Did you do anything to the engine before this problem started?

Mhpautos recommended static timing check and I agree as it would let you know if the firing order had been set correctly if you had taken out the plug cables.

Anyway, if the sparks are weak, it will also not start the engine.
FAMPARKS
Car has been kept in great shape, regular maintenance. Driving on hwy at 70 mph and car felt like it was going to die, pulled to the side and hasn't started since. Knowns are: Fuel & charging system are 100%. Timing is good. Spark verified visually at each wire. New plugs and fuel filter. Compression good. Timing checks good. At this point the only thing I can think of is the spark is not hot enough, How do you check that? I was thinking bad gas but I was driving awhile on the fuel that is in it now and sitting at 1/2 tank. Even sprayed starting fluid down throttle body with no effect what so ever. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do next.

Sponsored links