Starting problem

FARSHADFH
  • HONDA ACCORD
When the weather is cold during the winter, my 96 accord hardly starts and u smell a little gas. And sometimes just doesnt start.I mean there is a little oil on my spark plugs that I cant stop, does anyone know what's the problem that in cold weather doesnt start?
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 AT 6:27 AM

BRUCE HUNT
A little oil on the spark plugs, like where on the plugs? Are we talking about on the tip or the firing end?
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 AT 6:56 AM
FARSHADFH
I'm not sure if it's the spark plugs, but no matter how many times I change the seals, still leaks, it's just dont know what's the problem with the starting in cold weather
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 AT 7:28 AM
FARSHADFH
I'm not sure if it's the spark plugs, but no matter how many times I change the seals, still leaks, it's just dont know what's the problem with the starting in cold weather[/quote:de1c8f366d]

on the tip and firing end
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 AT 7:34 AM
BRUCE HUNT
OK, with oil on the tip, which is where the spark is generated, any time there is something that reduces the amount of spark that causes a problem. Now some problems don't seem to be affected by the cold and others are improved by the cold. But starting in cold weather is tough on a car and it needs to be running great to make it through the winter. I suspect you use some oil and have to add a touch of oil. I also suspect that you have a few miles on the car and I also suspect that your fuel economy has dropped off over the last year or so. This isn't something that happened overnight. So, what do you do to fix it?

I wouldn't need to do a compression check as it might actually turn out to be fair and within tolerances, but the oil rings are leaking and letting oil in to the firing chamber. This is not good.

Time to pull the engine and rebuild would be my suggestion.
Saturday, December 2nd, 2006 AT 8:44 AM
CAPTAIN HANK
From reading your post I would have someone test to see if you have a fuel leakage somewhere, since you notice a gas odor. Your fuel system is design to build up fuel pressure for the injectors to work. A leakage in the system would require a much longer start up period. Plus it is a dangerous situation. The oil on the spark plugs I am assuming is in the cavity where each plug is inserted. You changed the seals with no results. Probalby needs a new valve cover. Too much oil in these cavities can effect the ability of the ignition cables to provide spark to the plugs.
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 1:43 AM