Oil Leaking

KANDBTOWING
  • HONDA ACCORD
I have a 1999 Honda Accord whith 156,000 miles on it which all of a sudden starting leaking oil majorly. Not just a little leak slowly just all at once a large anount of oil came out of my car. I also am having a problem with the car stalling out for no reason at different times. I will be driving and it will stall and then it won;t happen again for a while and then it will do it again. Any suggestions?
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 8:13 AM

KANDBTOWING
By the way, I thought it was the ignition switch recall so I had it replaced and it still stalls for no apparent reason. My car is a manual transmission if that helps at all.

Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 8:29 AM
BRUCE HUNT
Where is the oil coming from? Is it coming in the location of the belts or the side with the tranny? The location is important. You could have a failing seal on the crankshaft, the oil pump could be failing, etc.
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 9:42 AM
KANDBTOWING
From what I can see it is coming straight down and there is a puddle under the car where the plug is but it is not the plug b/c I just replaced that with my last oil change.

Could it be a front main seal that has gone bad?
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 3:35 PM
BRUCE HUNT
It could be the front seal but I would venture a guess that you could not whether the oil is coming from the oil pan gasket or the timing belt cover.
Friday, December 8th, 2006 AT 6:46 PM
KANDBTOWING
Definitely coming from the front main seal so I replaced it and now my car is stalling out when I put my foot on the clutch. I also found that my EGR Valve is bad so I replaced it but still have the stall problem and now the seal came off again. ARGH
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 4:02 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Did you mess with the wires behind the timing cover when putting in the seal?
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 4:42 PM
KANDBTOWING
No I definitely did not mess with the wires. I am going to buy another seal but I can't fisgure out the satalling issue. The fuel filter is fine, the fuel pump relay is fine so now I am just clueless
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 9:36 AM
BRUCE HUNT
When the seal came of, did the oil pressure drop and a cel come on?
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 10:00 AM
KANDBTOWING
No, nor did I have a warning light or and codes showing and the check engine light isn't even on. Nw I can;t find another front main oil seal anywhere. I am losing my mind.
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 11:30 AM
KANDBTOWING
Are you referring to the CKP/TDC sensor wiring - then no I did not mess with them however, both sensors were submerged in oil when the seal blew out. Would that affect or destroy the sensors?

Also having problem with keeping the seal from popping out and I have approximately 1/8" end play in crank shaft. Do you believe that could be causing the seal to pop out?

One last question, prior to seal blowing out the second time in as many weeks I was having a problem whenever clutch was pushed in when coming to a stop light the engine would stall, if shifted transmission into neutral without using the clutch engine did not stall. Is clutch switch somehow related to engine RPM or to PCM input?

Thanks,
Kim
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 8:00 PM
KANDBTOWING
P. S. Regarding last issue with stalling, have tested the fuel pump relay, VTEC selanoid, EGR Valve, and all checked out fine.

Thanks,
Kim
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 8:05 PM
BRUCE HUNT
You have found your problem. The play in the crankshaft is enough to play havoc with a couple of things. It will continue to kick out the seals. I would say you may have a bearing that is bad or since the bearings are split that one has popped out. Either way there is a bearing or two that is gone. You will continue to have seal and oil leaks.

On top of that, those two sensors are not able to correctly tell the computer their position because there is too much play in the shaft.

Not really that great of a bit of news for the Christmas time period. You seem pretty savy, and with a torque wrench and a little elbow work you could lift out the engine and rebuild it. I have purchased an entire kit on ebay for about $125. I put on a new oil pump, water pump, timing belt, clutch and had just under $500 dollars in the rebuild. Only pain in the butt was I did not have cherry picker to pull the engine but with some digging you can borrow one.

Good luck and ask more questions as needed, we like to help!
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 11:52 PM
KANDBTOWING
Not the news I was hoping for but at least now I may have a solution. Thanks for all your help. By the way, what kit for $ 125 on ebay are you referring to? It is a re-build kit? I really don't want to have to re-build this engine especially since I only have 156,000 miles on it and I had almost 200,000 miles on my Toyota when I sold it and never had these issues and was told that before I bought my Honda brand new that it would last me forever with no real headaches. I did a lot fo research and this car seemed to be the best 4 door in its price range at the time. Needless to say, I am very frustrated and disgusted that I have to already re-build the engine and at this time it is just not feasible to do but I have been without a car for 2 weekds now and am going crazy.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 11:53 AM
KANDBTOWING
P. S. The water pump, clutch, and everyting else are fine and I just changed the timing belt about 3 months ago.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 11:55 AM
KANDBTOWING
Bruce,

Sorry I could only donate $50.00 for your help but with this car issue and it being Christmas time that is about all I can afford right now. I wish it could have been more and maybe in the future I will have more to donate.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 11:57 AM
BRUCE HUNT
Thanks from the forum and you need not have been so generous, it was nice of you and I hope you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year to you!
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 2:22 PM