Honda Accord transmission slips

STEVE CLAYTON
  • HONDA ACCORD
1998 accord, 130,000 miles, automatic, 4-cyl. When car is cold tranny works fine, as car heats up tranny will slip if rpm is under 1500. When tranny hot, if rpm below 1500 rpms, tranny slips no matter what gear you are in. Coming up from a stop I have to push accelerator above 1500 before engagement. Tranny fluid changed recently, didn't fix problem. What to do? Is it electronic or mechanical? Please advise. Backyard mechanic
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 7:43 PM

SERVICE WRITER
When it is slipping, do you smell anything with a burning smell around the trans?
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 8:36 PM
STEVE CLAYTON
No burning smell. Also had an honest tranny mechanic rebuild transmission and torque converter. He aslo mentioned that he performed continuity checks on many sensors. When competed it did the same thing, and he did not want to spend any more time with it. He also dodn't charge me since he said he didn't fix problem. I've been thinking about buying a remanufactured tranny from company off internet, afraid if I swap it (and loose a lot of blood, backaches, and money) the same problem will occur. Took car to national transmission repair center, they said transmiision needs replacement even though honest guy said he just went through the whole thing. What should I do? Thanks for your reply. Confused backyard mechanic
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 AT 8:33 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Do this, if you can get access to a scanner find out what codes are in the computer. May have to check for dtcs in the bcm for this. Your tranny friend may be able to do that, and we can go from there. Don't replace the tranny again. Codes such as p1738 or p1739 may be present. :Idea:

AFTER you do that, remove both battery cables, hold away from the battery and touch the together for a few minutes. Honda recommends this to helps clear up any software glitchs by draining the capacitors. :Idea:

There is a tsb on shift problems that call for replacing the a/t clutch pressure control solenoid A/B assy. IT doesn't offer a testing procedure but to replace it as the test! Gotta love it :roll:
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 AT 8:41 PM