Cylinder not firing

14TULIPS
  • HONDA ACCORD
I just took in my 1998 Honda Accord, 2.3L 4 cyl (225,508 miles) to get the timing belt (and water pump) replaced. After they changed the timing belt (they put on a Dayco 92544 timing belt on), they said it was mis-firing. Then they ran the diagnostics to find that cylinder #1 was not firing. They replaced the spark plugs, changed the cables and distributor cap, checked the fuel injectors, removed and replaced the timing belt again. Now my car shakes when it is stopped or if you are moving slowly, once you get moving it runs just fine though. Any suggestions?
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 9:31 AM

BRUCE HUNT
In order to do the work that they had to do, it was necessary to disconnect the motor mount. Did they get it hooked back up properly or was it bad? Another question along those lines is the motor mount bad on any other part of the car? Check the mounts out. I assume that they got the misfire fixed?
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 9:36 AM
14TULIPS
The engine mounts are fairly new, so they didn't need replacing. I just replaced them about 2 years ago.
That's the problem. The misfiring has not been fixed, because they are not sure why it is not firing. They offered the suggestion to have the head sent to a machine shop because they think the valve for cylinder 1 has burned. Not sure how this would have happened though. My car was working fine when I took it in (8am) but during the time that it took to replace a timing belt, somehow a valve was burned? What other reasons would there be for why a cylinder is not firing?
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 9:55 AM
BRUCE HUNT
Two that come to mind are so simple that they should be very obvious. If fact, they are so obvious that you probably won't try them, but here goes. It is easy to put in new plugs but it is also easy to crack a plug. It will fire but not all the time. Another is a bad wire. They can look great, but manhandling wires can cause them to fail and they can fail such that it idles terrible but seems to run fine at high speed. It could be a valve but I would doublt that.
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 10:19 AM
14TULIPS
Well, it seems that the new spark plugs work just fine. They removed the plugs to test them on the engine, and they all fired everytime, it was just once it was installed that it wouldn't fire.

They also replaced both the distributor cap and the cables, so I am fairly sure those are not the problem either.
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 10:33 AM
BRUCE HUNT
Once the belt was installed that is failed to fire? As I said no one believes the two areas. You would be surprised how often this happens. It has to be simple. The wrong person pulling on a plug wire and that wire will fire but not right. Installing and cracking a plug is easy, a lot easier that burning a valve. Did they get everything reconnected properly again after the install? The answer will be yes but to the next person that looks they will spot something that was not reconnected.
Monday, April 30th, 2007 AT 10:39 AM