Car Stuck in Park

CHRISTIE1004
  • HONDA ACCORD
Hello! I have a 2002 Honda Accord. It has approximately 80,000 miles and it has an automatic transmission. For the past year or so, my shifter will not move out of park. I can not push the button in so the shifter won't move even when I push in the break petal. When I push the break petal in, it sounds like air is coming out put I don't feel anything. I have to pump the break petal over and over and turn the stearing wheel and eventually it the button will push in and I can shift out of park. Do you know what could be causing my car to get stuck in park? Any advice would be appreciate. Thank you in advance.
Monday, September 10th, 2007 AT 12:54 PM

BRUCE HUNT
I am concerned about the air sound. I would be looking under the hood while someone depresses the brake pedal. See if there is a booster for the brake and if it is leaking air.

Then when you push the brake and all is quiet you should be able to hear a click as the solenoid that releases the shift lever is activated. You might have a brake switch/sensor that is bad or the solenoid at the shift lever is bad.
Monday, September 10th, 2007 AT 2:30 PM