CAR STARTING

Honda Accord

demille

December, 27, 2006 AT 2:02 AM

I have a 1994 honda accord and when I went to start it it took 5 times before it started up.I drove the car all day started up fine but one time it would not crank up. It took a liitle bit then finally it started what could that be.

Bruce Hunt

December, 28, 2006 AT 2:53 PM

I would first ensure that the tuneup is current. Then I would check the fuel pressure at the rail.

jqira

January, 16, 2007 AT 4:17 AM

Honda Accord LX, 116,000 mi, 2.2
Like demille's problem, my car also won't start sometimes. I have to keep cranking it for 10 minutes before it finally starts. But this only happens once every two months. Mechanics keep telling I have to bring it in when it won't turn over to find the problem. I know I'm due for a tune-up but what does 'fuel pressure at the rail' mean? And does a tune-up sound like the answer or is their another possiblity? Thanks

Bruce Hunt

January, 16, 2007 AT 10:01 AM

There is always another possibility. The fuel pressure at the rail is attaching a gauge to the rail to test for fuel pressure. The pressure should constantly be above 35 lbs of pressure. The rail is the bar is connected to the fuel lines and holds the injectors.

The fuel pressure regulator could also be a failing point.

Why don't you check the EGR valve. Take it off and clean it. Start with that and see what happens from there.

mikeb623

If this happens mostly in warm weather or when the interior of your car is hot it could be the main relay (aka fuel pump relay) as well. Same symptoms in my 92 accord. Starts fine in morning, after sitting all day in heat connections spread and wont start.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011