Car flooding

BOBO2812
  • HONDA ACCORD
2001 Honda Accord Coupe, 190,000 miles, 4 cylinder, manual 5 speed. We had a massive flash flood last night. My car sat in ankle high water to knee high water within minutes. Water came into the car but it was never fully submerged. It starts fine, idles fine and drives fine until you get to 3 RPM's. Even if you rev the engine, it will not go past 3 RPM's. It backfired on me a few times last night and in 1st and 2nd gear the car will start "shaking" when you get past 2 RPM's. Do you think a spark plug shorted or maybe something more serious? It drives like normal until you get to 3 RPM's. By the way, I just had all my belts changed along with all the other recommended parts replaced.
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 10:42 AM

JACK42
Did the water level reach the PCM or fuse box or other electronics?How high in the engine compartment did it get? Check for water in th espark plug wells and in the dist cap if equipped
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 3:57 PM
II008877
We had a similar Accord with similar problems - four cylinder I expect? Ours was with lower miles though. I think you should be getting a check engine light. It will read PCM Voltage High / Out of Range. That usually causes RPM to top at 3K in this car. Take out the ECU open it up and check it out for water intrusion. It most likely got water in it since it sits so low (in front center console next to accerator pedal). The SRS computer sits just one level above it you may have to get it replaced as well if light comes on. After changing ECU you will have to get reprogramming done for your key and if SRS you will have to get light reset. If change any computers get them from your local junk yard or the expnse will go very high. Either way I would change spark plugs since there are only four and change engine oil to ensure no water inside.

If there is water in engine: Then do multiple oil changes without sprakplug in engine (only cranking by starter). Also drip like one or two tablespoons of oil into cylinder while cranking without sparkplugs.

Let me know what happens. Thanks.
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 2:17 AM