Air conditioning works but doesn't!

LOPEZSEAN
  • HONDA ACCORD

I have a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe Ex, 150,000 miles, have had A/C problems since 80,000 miles. My problem is with the air conditioning system. I just recently had the system recharged with refigerant only to find out two days later that the system was blowing hot air. So, I went back to the shop to have some dye placed in to check for leaks, used the system for a couple days, and again was subjected to the system blowing hot air. I brought the car in to have it checked, no dye or signs of leakage were found. Doesn't make sense to me. According to my mechanic, the compressor and condenser were working. I even had the evaporator core checked as that was a questionable problem, and no additional leaks nor was the core needing replacement. My mechanic does not know what the problem is.

So to sum things up, the system works after refigerant has been added for a day or so, then after that, no more cold air gets blown through the vents when the A/C is on. Any ideas? Anyone? Summer is here, and I’m in desperate need of cold air! Thank you.
Tuesday, May 16th, 2006 AT 5:45 PM

LOSONE
Refrigerant doesn't leak without a hole in the system. Your Honda is prone to having a bad evaperator. If you can't see a leak outside, 90% chance it's the evaporator.
Wednesday, May 17th, 2006 AT 12:52 PM
LOPEZSEAN
But if the evaporator is bad, then no cold air would come through the vents after a recharge, correct?

Anyhow, thanks for the quick reply. Had the evaporator checked, and my mechanic said it looked like new! Okay, so had the system recharged (again), had the compressor cleaned up (had a bunch of buildup), and had extra dye placed in. It is now day one after the recharge, and the system is blowing cold air. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :wink:

thanks losone!
Wednesday, May 17th, 2006 AT 1:53 PM
LOSONE
Most A/C leaks are from a tiny hole that expands under pressure. It would still cool if the hole is in the evaperator. I think your problem is going to be the compressor. The reason for the build up is refrigerant oil leaking from the system. Probably a front seal. Good luck
Wednesday, May 17th, 2006 AT 3:17 PM
JVRIPLEY
Have the mechanic check for intermittent electrical shorts. My brother had this problem on his 94 civic 4 door. He took it in many times and the mechanic could not figure it out. This was a problem with some electrical short that would show up intermittently. It caused the air conditioner to start blowing out regular air, ie non air-conditioned. Problem was it would show up only when the inside of the car warmed up and caused some part of the plastic dash to warp just a bit.
Friday, May 19th, 2006 AT 3:44 PM
LOSONE
More than likely it is not a "short." They burn wires and blow fuses. It is probably an intermittant open circuit that causes the problem.

Check your E mail for a schematic. Often the thermo switch causes problems.
Friday, May 19th, 2006 AT 6:06 PM
MACAT
Check ground connection at battery terminal maybe incomplete circuit

GOOD LUCK
Tuesday, June 6th, 2006 AT 11:27 AM