99 Honda Accord Gets Hot Won't Start

ILUVMYHONDA99
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 99 Honda Accord, 156,000 miles (approx.), Automatic, 4-Cylinder V-Tech Engine. It is not making any strange sounds or leaking anywhere that we have found. I recently took it to a Honda Dealer and had the EGR Valve replaced and a tune-up done (about 2 or 3 months ago). They told me that everything looked good except that I needed to have the transmission fluid changed and a new timing belt. It was fine until about three weeks ago when it decided to not start when it gets hot. I can start it perfectly fine in the AM (after it has set all night) and drive it for an hour without any problems. Sometimes I can get right back in and drive again, other times it dies when I put it in gear, but as soon as I shut it off, it won't start back up. Sometimes it will take 15-30 minutes to restart, other times it takes up to 2 hours? It turns over but acts like it isn't getting any gas, as when I push the gas pedal it doesn't seem to do anything. The engine light is not on either. Everyone I know has a different opinion of what it could be but the mechanics say they can't find anything. One person says a coil could be bad, another says it could be spark plugs (which are brand new). I get stranded everywhere I go when it is hot out because it seems to exacerbate the problem. I am completely cluelss. If anyone could lead me in some sort of direction to try and find the problem, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 1:41 PM

BRUCE HUNT
Get yourself stranded at home. Set it up so that it will not start at your home. Then when it is refusing to start determine whether it is spark related or fuel related. Pull a plug and check the spark on the plug. Got any spark?
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007 AT 3:29 PM
99HONDA
Hi there,

I have same problem and I changed the coil, module inside distributor but my 99 honda wont start when its hot and now I found out it is the main relay under the dashboard on driver side I took it out, with a flat screw driver pop the cover out off the main relay check under a magnify glass or microscope you gonna see a crack between the solder joint and now if you have a soldering iron you can reflow it or go to honda dealer get yourself a new relay after you did it. Drive your car when the weather s hot. Stop, park your car in a safe area turn it off, restart it . If the main relay it will start back on.I hope this will help.
Sorn regards
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007 AT 12:45 PM