2005 Honda Accord Dead Battery?

DL_UVA99
  • 2005 HONDA ACCORD
I have had trouble starting my 2005 Honda Accord LX a few months back; it would take 2 or 3 tries to start, especially in the cold. This happened about 4 times over a 2 month period. Then 1 week ago, I needed a jump to start the car. I then took it to Advanced Auto and had the battery tested. It indicated battery needed to be charged. Charged it in 35 minutes at Advanced Auto using their charger station and tested battery again; the CCA indicated 374 for the 410 battery and Advanced Auto said the battery was good.

2 days later, I cannot start the car again. How can I check if it's a recharge issue, or if it is a simply a dead battery?

THANK YOU!
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 9:40 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, a couple questions first.

When you stated that you had problems starting a few months back and it took 2 or 3 times.
Did it turn over normally and just didn't start?

Did the same thing happen the other times mentioned over that 2 months?

Is the Battery the Original Battery? If so could be the battery most batteries only last 3 - 4 years.

If you have a test light you can perform a simple test to see if there is a draw on the battery. Remove either the Negative cable or the Positive cable. Make sure everything in the vehicle is off and doors are closed, if has under hood light take out the bulb. Then connect the test light between the cable and the battery terminal. If the light comes on then there is a draw on the battery. Depending on the amount of draw the light may be very dim or bright.

If you have a digital multi-meter you can check the voltage that in in the battery. At full charge should be 12.60. If below 12.45 would need charged. However, you won't be able to determine the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). And that is what is needed to be able to operate the starter.

.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 10:02 AM
DL_UVA99
When the problem started 2 months back, the engine would try to start/turn but could not, and finally start after 2nd turn of the key.

This is the OEM batter and have had it since 2005; so I'm guessing replacing the battery is the best bet. Advanced Auto is offering a battery w/ 510 CCA for about $95, I have a $10 off coupon; would this be a pretty decent deal? THANKS!
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Wouldn't be a bad idea. $95 sounds kinda high to me. If there are other parts stores around you I would call and get the prices. Even though you have a $10 off coupon you may be able to do better.

Another possibility now knowing the previous problem was not starting. Check the negative cable at the engine. Make sure clean and tight. Wouldn't hurt to remove and clean area. A bad ground can also cause the intermitant problem.

.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM