2005 Honda Accord Car Gives Out and Comes Back On

LJ050405
  • 2005 HONDA ACCORD
2005 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic 138000 miles

Hi there! I am having a problem maybe once every couple of months where the car will be driving along the freeway and the car just completely dies all the lights, radio and everything go out and then comes right back on. It is very scary. This last time I noticed that the ABS and Emergency Brake Light flashed. The malfunction light came on and then the next time I started the car it was gone. The code cannot be read by the computer. My computer was rebooted, but problem did not occur again until 4 months later so I did not go back since I was told to come back when it happened again. Do you think this could be a computer problem? Also, the fuse box that controls the radio seems loose and so the radio goes on and off. If you apply pressure to the fuse box the radio comes back on. I heard about a recall on 2005 honda accords for fuse box issues, but I called honda and they said my car was not apart of the recall. The recall is in regards to the fuse box and the fuel pump so I am not sure I don't think this is the problem since electrical things happen. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 8:53 PM

MATHIASO
Hello lj050405

I have found the recalls you have mentioned.
There is a phone number for Honda you can call to clarify the problem with what the dealer said to you.

Honda Accord Recalls
Accord FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP Recall - ID# 47207

Recall Date
MAR 14, 2007
Model Affected
2005 HONDA ACCORD
Description
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, A COIL WIRE INSIDE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY MAY BREAK, CAUSING THE FUEL PUMP TO LOSE POWER. IF THE FUEL PUMP BECOMES INOPERATIVE, THE ENGINE MAY NOT START.
Consequence
IF THE FUEL PUMP LOSES POWER WHILE DRIVING, THE ENGINE COULD STALL WITHOUT WARNING, AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 2, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Potential Units Affected
166561

Honda Accord Recalls
Accord ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS Recall - ID# 26978

Recall Date
APR 05, 2005
Model Affected
2005 HONDA ACCORD
Description
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A LOOSE TERMINAL IN THE MAIN FUSE BOX MAY CAUSE THE FUEL PUMP TO LOSE POWER. IF THE FUEL PUMP BECOMES INOPERATIVE, THE ENGINE MAY NOT START.
Consequence
IF THE FUEL PUMP LOSES POWER WHILE DRIVING THE ENGINE COULD STALL WITHOUT WARNING WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ENTIRE FUSE BOX FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 13, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Potential Units Affected
1923
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 7:31 PM
LJ050405
Hi there,

Actually I already called American Honda and they said my car is not apart of the recall. Does this sound like something that would be a consequence of the issues with the recall? They certainly did not care when I called and told them.

Would the ABS and emergency brake light flash? Would the car lose all power including electrical?
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 8:24 PM
MATHIASO
Hi,

Potential units affected for the first recall is 166561 vehicles
The second recall affected 1923 vehicles.
If they have taken information about your vehicle and find out that yours is not part of it, so I think the problem is somewhere else.
The problem happens while driving, a bad module may have electrical components inside that is damaged. Tiny transistors, diodes, resistors and other components are very sensitive to heat. And any of these components, near breaking down, may not fail until there is enough heat in the engine compartment. Have the ignition module tested, some auto part store do it for free.
Next, have the computer tested at your dealer to make sure it is not causing the problem.
Driver circuit in the computer may be bad.
Try disconnecting any sensor and find out if it shows the code.
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 9:08 PM
PM1202
I have recently encountered the same problem.
My car's entire electrical system went out while I was driving.
What occurred here seems to fit the fusebox recall 05V132000.
However my VIN number is not included in the recall bulletin.

Mathiaso, where did you get the info about a first recall?

IJ050405, What did you end up doing to get this resolved?
I will have the pleasure of contacting HONDA tomorrow.

Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 5:22 AM
PM1202
Ij050405 - is your VIN in the 1HGCM56? Range?
Just want to get an idea if its possible to get this recall expanded.
I picked up my car from the dealer in Oct 2004. So im assuming it may have been manufactured within a month. The recall is for cars manufactured nov 12th- 17th I think.
So assuming, from the number of cars affected 1900 about within a 5 day period.
This could easily include another 10k vehicles.2k vehicles pet week/5week estimate assuming my car was manufactured 1st week of Oct.

Any owners of a 2005 accord experiencing this same problem??

Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 5:41 AM
M_H_RITZEL
Reference lose of power

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
ACURA / TL 2005

HONDA / ACCORD 2005

HONDA / ODYSSEY 2005

Manufacturer: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Mfr's Report Date: MAR 29, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V132000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,923
Summary:
Consequence:
Remedy:
Notes:
HONDA RECALL NOS. P73, P74. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 AT 3:55 PM