2004 Honda Accord My car slips out of gear when I brake, us

ADONENKO
  • 2004 HONDA ACCORD
A few months ago, my car started to slip out of gear for a second when I'd flip on my high beams. I'd hear an audible click, the light by "D" would go out, the check engine light would flash for a millisecond, and then everything would go back to normal. Then it stopped happening for a few months. Fast forward to the past two weeks, and now when I'm driving and brake, use the blinker, or the high beams, the same thing happens. If I'm at a stop and use any of these, the car shuts off. If I start the car and then turn on the lights, the car shuts off. Sometimes, if I idle in park and put it in gear, it shuts off. I have no problem starting it back up.

I've been told it could be a voltage problem, or that it could be a major electrical problem with one of the computers.

This is a newish transmission; was replaced about about 110,000 mi.

Help! Thanks in advance!
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM

It's a electrical problem, but where to start is the problem. If the check engine light has come on, there should be a code set in the computer (or as you mentioned the computer may be the problem). What I recommend is to have the computer scanned for codes. The flash of the light means there is (or should be) a code stored in the system. With a scanner, you should be able to retreive it and identify the problem. Most parts stores will do it for free, so there is no money out of pocket for you. Also, if they tell you they can't scan it because the light is off, tell them you still want it done because the light has been on.

If nothing shows up as a problem, then I would start looking for ground problems. CHeck to make sure the ground to the engine block is clean and tight as well as the battery terminals. Also, check for rusted or broken body mount straps. A ground could be the problem too.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 9:31 PM
ADONENKO
Thank you for you quick response, I will look into what you suggested. I'm really hoping it's just a matter of a bad ground or terminal connection!

It is raining today and I noticed the car did nothing wrong on my 60 mile commute; can any of the things you noted be mitigated by moisture?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 8:11 AM
Anything is possible. I just feel that a ground may be the problem because of your description. Body ground straps have a problem with working loose and rusting, so make sure to look at them too (under the hood, under the car.)
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 2:07 PM