Battery light on in dash panel

EKOSTE
  • 2004 HONDA ACCORD
My battery light stays on all the time until you drive the car and get the rpm's above 2000. When it comes down below 2000 it comes on again. I have changed the alternator and belt and have also clean the battery cables. I had an alternator shop check out the charging system and they said it was working normal. Battery also is good. Got any ideas? Oh, if I leave it in park or neutral and run the engine up past 2000 rpms it stays on. It only goes out when it is in gear and above 2000 rpm's.
Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM

BMRFIXIT
Try out these tips before going the replacement route; they just may do the trick:

Do a battery cable reset by disconnecting the positive and negative battery cables and touching them together for 15 minutes with the ignition switch turned to ON (II) ENGINE OFF. A battery cable reset forces all capacitors in that component to discharge faster, and it clears and resets the computer memory. If a software glitch is the culprit, a battery cable reset will fix the problem just as effectively as installing a new component would. Before you do this procedure though, make sure the battery has a full charge. A low battery can cause electronic components to not work right or not work at all.

Unplug the connectors from the component, wait a few minutes, and then plug them back in. If a poor connection is the culprit, the simple act of unplugging and plugging in the connector cleans the terminal contact surfaces and usually fixes the problem. While you've got the connector unplugged, look for witness marks on the terminals-they indicate a good, tight fit. If you suspect loose terminals, remove a female terminal and use it like a feeler gauge to check the fit.
+2
Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 5:56 AM
EKOSTE
Did the battery cable reset. No help. Also cleaned and checked connectors and they checked good. Light still comes on when the car is in drive and rpm's are over about 2300, let off pedal and rpm's drop below 2300 and light comes back on. In park or neutral the light stays on regardless of rpm's. I can accelerate up to 5000 rpm's and the light stays on. So I replaced the alternator and that took care of the problem. Thanks for your help on this I guess the auto parts store was wrong. FYI
+2
Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 7:53 AM