2002 Honda Accord Timing Belt question

BLANCHE
  • 2002 HONDA ACCORD
2002 Honda Accord Automatic 22,750 miles

When I took my car to the dealership for routine service, I was told that I needed to replace my timing belt. The car has only 22,750 miles on it, is regularly garaged, and has never had a problem. The dealership insists that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 6 or 7 years, irrespective of mileage, because "rubber degrades regardless of whether you're trying the car alot." Can this possibly be right? I got the feeling that they were just trying to make some money off me, because they know I know nothing about cars. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 3:22 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
The material that the timing belt is made out of will "decompose", so to speak, overtime wether it is being in use or just sitting there. Sort of like a tire dry rotting. Although 22k miles is an extremely small amount of mileage, 7 years is a rather long amount of time. I suggest having it replaced sooner rather than later.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Thursday, April 30th, 2009 AT 3:31 PM