2001 Honda Accord Problem starting engine

MOOKITTY
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
I'm having a problem with the ignition on my 2001 Accord. Starting about 2 weeks ago after some rain, the car wouldn't start. The battery had some corrosion on the poles so I cleaned them and it started up. The problem keeps coming back. Sometimes it'll start up the first time, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 turns of the key to start. When it does start, there's no chugging or any indication of a problem. While running there's no problem either. I just took it on a 500 mile trip and not once was there a problem, except occasionally when starting. It seems to start better during the day when it's hot out. There is also a buzzing noise that has started at about the same time from around the glove box area. It seems to only make a noise when the accelerator is used.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 2:25 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi mookitty,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms for difficult starting indicates a possible fuel pressure drop scenario and if that is the case, the most common cause would be a leaking in-tank fuel filter, which is the fuel pump housing. When problem occurs, turn ignition switch on for 2 seconds. Turn Off and back on again for 2 seconds and try starting. If it is much easier to start, then you would need to check the filter.

A fuel pressure test would only be conclusive if a pressure gauge is attached and the fuel pressure is primed and left for at least 5 minutes to monitor the drop in pressure as the leak can be minimal and the pressure drops requires some waiting.

As to the buzzing noise, it most probably is a relay buzzing and it could be from the relays in the underhoos fuse box. You would have to locate the source to find out what is causing it.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 1:48 PM
MOOKITTY
Wouldn't a problem with the fuel pressure show when I'd be idling? I may not have explained the symptom right. When I start it acts as though the battery is dead. After trying it several times it will come straight on most of the time. The battery and alternator are good, I had them checked today. When I turn the key and it doesn't work, it makes a single click sound, nothing more. When I remove the gas cap, even when the car won't start, it depressurizes like it was before.
-1
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 2:19 PM
KHLOW2008
No, the leakage is only minimal and the fuel pump and pressure regulator are both able to maintain the pressure when the engine is running. This should not be applicable with the new data provided.

The ignition switch could be faulty according to your explanation. There was a safety recall on the component and from what I understand the recall is over but you can check with your local dealer regarding the problem.

The other possibility would be a failing starter motor. Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and use a remote wire to apply battery voltage. Test a few times to check if the starter cranks each and every time battery voltage is applied.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 2:31 PM