2001 Honda Accord EX 3.0 V6 - I Goofed, Won't Start

LANAKI
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
Mileage: 85,472

I just purchased the car yesterday. It came with one of those aftermarket dashboard security light-up devices that was hot spliced into the large white wire from the ignition under the steering wheel. It was also wired to a toggle switch the previous owner had installed to turn it off and on, and it was grounded to the metal of the dash support. Anyway, the salesman said he didn't think that system was working. The unit that sits on the dash was brittle so I decided to remove the entire thing. I had to cut the wire to remove it and then as I did, sparks flew and the short melted all the wires attached to the unit, the car filled with smoke and the stench of burning plastic. I scrambled to disconnect the battery before the car caught fire.
I removed all the wiring for the unit and noted that wherever the wiring had been placed, the remnants of the melted wire was still stuck. Anyway, I reattached the battery cable and all the lights, door locks, radio, power seats, and windows all work. The car willl not crank and no dashlights come on. The ignition light (where the key inserts) comes on and the buzzer that warns the key is in the ignition sounds. I have checked all fuses and they seem to be okay. Any clues, please? I'm a stay-at-home dad with two toddlers and we could just barely afford to purchase this car. I am so upset with myself and cannot afford to take it to the dealer.

Mahalo!

Lanaki
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 12:34 AM

BRUCE HUNT
Is there spark at the plugs? I suspect that in pulling out the system you have a wire that was cut during the installation of the security system and routed through that box. I would be pulling the dash area apart and checking every wire that comes from the ignition switch to see if I am correct.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 8:59 AM
LANAKI
Aloha bruce,

thank you for your reply. When you ask if there is spark at the plugs, are you referring to the spark plugs? And which "that box" are you referring to? Forgive my ignorance, I just want to make sure I am understanding you properly.
Also, I was in error when I reported that the windows and radio are working. Anything that requires the key to be turned in the ignition to function, does not. The clock is working as are the power seats, door locks, all lights and horn.
Mahalo!
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 12:05 PM
BRUCE HUNT
I meant the part that fried. I believe you have added enough with your correction to point to the ignition switch. Check those wires, make sure that all wires are insulated well. If that car does not turn over and considering the fuses are good and the proximity of the meltdown, I point to the switch.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 4:43 PM
LANAKI
Someone has suggested to me the battery may have undergone some cell damage. That though the lights come on, there may not be sufficient power to crank the engine. If that is the case, wouldn't the dashboard display lights (engine, oil, SRS etc.) Still come on?
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 5:16 PM
LANAKI
Hey bruce,

many thanks for your advice. A friend came over with a continuity tester and we discovered a 50 amp fuse under the hood blown. Replaced it and all is well! Whew! "How do you spell relief?"
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 8:54 PM