I just purchased the car yesterday. It came with one of those aftermarket dashboard security light-up devices that was hot spliced into the large white wire from the ignition under the steering wheel. It was also wired to a toggle switch the previous owner had installed to turn it off and on, and it was grounded to the metal of the dash support. Anyway, the salesman said he didn't think that system was working. The unit that sits on the dash was brittle so I decided to remove the entire thing. I had to cut the wire to remove it and then as I did, sparks flew and the short melted all the wires attached to the unit, the car filled with smoke and the stench of burning plastic. I scrambled to disconnect the battery before the car caught fire.
I removed all the wiring for the unit and noted that wherever the wiring had been placed, the remnants of the melted wire was still stuck. Anyway, I reattached the battery cable and all the lights, door locks, radio, power seats, and windows all work. The car willl not crank and no dashlights come on. The ignition light (where the key inserts) comes on and the buzzer that warns the key is in the ignition sounds. I have checked all fuses and they seem to be okay. Any clues, please? I'm a stay-at-home dad with two toddlers and we could just barely afford to purchase this car. I am so upset with myself and cannot afford to take it to the dealer.
have the same problem?
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 12:34 AM