2000 Honda Accord Noise while steering after timing belt &a

MILOGALT
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
Got my timing belt, serpentine belts, and two engine mounts replaced at a local repair shop (was charged 650) yesterday.

Immediately after I took the car, it started making noises while steering (and I think the steering wheel vibrates with the sound, and the noise is louder when the vehicle is going slower/starting up). The noise isn't always loud, but its worryingly loud many times, and constantly, there is a noise.

When I went back to the guy who made the repairs, he confirms the "steering wheel pump" is broken, and that it has nothing to do with the repairs (of course!). He says he will change the pump for the cost of the part only (no labor).
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 11:07 PM

JACK42
According to Mitchell, all they removed was the belt to replace the timing belt. If it didnt make the noise before hand you can try to get him to cover the entire cost, bu the probably wont. What does the noise sound like? Is it a schreeching noise? Check the belt tension to be sure it is ok first and that it isnt low on fluid
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 8:10 AM
MILOGALT
Thanks for the response, Jack!

The power steering pump fluid is full.

By "belt tension", which belt is being referred to?

Also, how much would the pump cost (just the part, without labor costs)?

The noise is coming from inside the pump (I put my ear to a screwdriver touching the pump, and could hear the vibration noise when a friend moved the steering wheel), its an annoying buzz of sorts, with vibration on the steering wheel. The noise is distinctly louder when I turn the wheel/car, but I would like to think there is a humming vibration on the steering wheel even when I am driving straight.

I Do know only the timing belt was changed, and not the water pump or the cam/crankshaft seals. He showed me the vehicle when he had "opened it up", and he clearly showed/said that the pump and the seals were very dry and very good, and that there was no need to have them changed (which is against convention, I guess, but I am not sure the convention is all that correct, since its only the timing belt Honda recommends for a change, and not the water pump or seals, also the charges tend to mount for a "timing belt package deal", which does not go lower than 600 anywhere for a V6 2000 Accord).

In addition, the serpentine belts were changed, and I can see that the engine mounts have been replaced too, though I dont know if that could cause the problem.
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM
JACK42
The belt tension on the pump. If th enoise is coming directly from the pump, it may be bad. Looks like that pump is almost $400.00, the labor guide only pays.9 to replace it (just under 1 hour)
Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 11:40 AM
MILOGALT
Thanks for the response.

I have a quote of 230 for replacing the power steering pump (re-manufactured, and the guy is charging me for the part only).

Also, I think I am hearing a murmur in the engine, starting yesterday evening (I drove the car over 150 miles after the timing belt change, before I heard the murmur).

The murmur is faint, and goes away once I accelerate the car. But if its not moving (either in drive or park), I can hear the faint murmur.

Is it something I need to be worried about?
Thursday, February 26th, 2009 AT 5:13 PM
JACK42
May just be a belt that is a little too tight, I wouldnt worry
Thursday, February 26th, 2009 AT 5:40 PM