ENGINE TEMPERATURE GAUGE

2000 Honda Accord

ar2cp

October, 21, 2008 AT 8:05 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 88500 miles

My engine temperature gauge stayed near the C range this morning, sometimes a little above, sometimes a little below, even after a 25 mile highway drive. It used to stay between the C and H on a normal drive. Would this happen if there is not enough antifreeze in the radiator or reservoir? Or does this indicate a bad water pump or temperature gauge? I wasn't able to check the antifreeze level because the engine hadn't cooled down yet. The radiator was not as hot to the touch as I remember and there was not as much hot air blowing out of the interior heating vents when the fan was turned on high.

Temp Gauge

October, 27, 2008 AT 4:23 AM

Hi ar2cp,

When there is insufficient coolant, the temp would go up. 2 possibilities for the temp to show low.

1. Thermostat stuck in open position and while driving or with AC on, the engine is being over cooled.

2. Faulty gauge or sending unit.

Test with engine running and AC off with car stationary, if temp shows correctly after 20 mins, the it should be the thermostat.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer