1999 Honda Accord Throttle and Acceleration problems when t

2FAST2FURIOUS
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Hello, I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr that I bought from someone that refused to have it tested and decided not to fix it. The car drives okay and it is in fair conditions however; I noticed that in the morning when I do not let the car warm up for at least 30 minutes, the RPM goes very high when the car automatically gears up to 2nd. Also, when making a left or right turn and I attempt to speed up all I get is the RPM to go up but my speed stays the same or decreases. So, my work around that is get a good speed initiate my turn (left or right) and bring the steering wheel to center before stepping into the accelerator.

What seems to be wrong with the car?
Is it something that I can check or fix myself?

Your assistant will be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi 2fast2furious,

Check the transmisison fluid level and top up if necessary.

When engine is cold, the Idle Air Control valve would increase the rpm till it warms up sufficiently before it settles down to idling speed. That is normal unless after warming up the rpm is more than 800rpm, then you might have a vacumn leakage somewhere or the idle speed is out of adjustment.
Wednesday, March 17th, 2010 AT 8:35 AM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content