1999 HONDA ACCORD OIL LEAK

• floridagirl
  • 1999 Honda Accord

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 154000 miles

I took my 1999 honda accord in for a routine oil change and was told that I need work performed for an oil leak that costs $1600 because they had to drop the engine and transmission to get to it. I haven't had any oil drips/puddles under my car and 5 years ago had timing belt, water pump, oil seals replaced @ 95,000 miles when I got oil leakage then. Four years ago I had replaced valve cover gasket and distributor o-ring, distributor cap, rotor, and ignition wires due to oil leak also. The work done today to fix the oil leak was: rear main oil seal, balancer shaft seal, cam journal seal, distributor o ring seal (again), retainer, and oil pan gasket. How many more oil leaks can I expect? The car is ten years old and I would have liked to keep it longer because it only has 152,000 miles on it, but now I may need to go new car shopping instead.

Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 5:47 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

I would be asking for a full report on what is actually leaking, and then go get a second opinion. I do often wonder about work shops that say you must spends up big with out giving any real details.

-1
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM