AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION PROBLEM SHIFTING I

1999 Honda Accord

rdrguru

June, 23, 2009 AT 11:59 PM

1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I have a 1999 Honda Accord with the 2.3 Liter and automatic transmission. Today, my wife was backing the car into the garage and started to back up fine, pulled forward slightly to re-position, and when she went to put it back into reverse, it would not go. You could hear it attemt to engage but no joy. Listened to the solenoid and with the engine off, going from neutral to drive, you hear the solenoid engage, and shifting back to neutral, you hear it disengage. As far as reverse, you hear it engage and then immeditally disengage while lever is in the reverse position. I am relativly sure that the solenoid is faulty, but is there any other way to troubleshoot this?

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

June, 28, 2009 AT 4:27 AM

Hi rdrguru,

Possible causes for the problem are : Shift Fork Shaft Stuck
Modulator Valve Defective
Reverse CPC Valve Defective
4th Accumulator Defective
4th Clutch Defective
Reverse Gears Worn/Damaged

Often it is the 4th clutch that is faulty.
If you are able to go for a test drive and finds that 4th gear is slipping, then that would confirm the problem.

If it is a solenoid fault, the D4 light should be blinking when vehicle is iin motion and this would be recorded in the PCM.

the answer man

June, 28, 2009 AT 10:15 PM

Check to see if your vehicle falls under a transmission warranty extension by Honda. I can't remember for sure if it was 150000 or 170000 miles or 10 years.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250