1999 Honda Accord ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

MATTJD33
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Honda Accord, 130000 - History unknown. Car has driven fine for me for several years. For the past few months, I have the following symptoms:
1. Car is drives fine at all speeds - steady state. However, when slowing to a red light or acclerating from a slow speed it periodically jerks a bit.
2. If the car is not started for a few days. It will not start. It turns over and churns but the car will just not start. If I do this for a few consecutive days (normally 2-3) it will eventually start normally and drive fine (with the exception listed above).

Today, I drove the car. I changed the oil tonight. It had been over 10k since the oil was changed. When I was done the car won't start. It displays symptoms listed in #2 above. I verified oil level, tighness of oil cap, drain plug and filter. During the oil change, the only thing that happened that was 'unusual' was that when I removed the oil filter I spread a good about of oil on all components below the filter when I dropped the filter accidentally.

I am ready to affect whatever repairs I need to restore this car. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Matt
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 3:28 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi Matt,

Thank you for the donation.

When engine could be cranked but does not fire up, you need to verify if it is fuel or ignition system that is causing the fault.

1. Fuel. Test for fuel pressure at fuel rails by releasing the fuel pulsation damper.

Use a wrench on the fuel pulsation damper (A) at the fuel rail.
Place a rag or shop towel (B) over the fuel pulsation damper.
NOTE: Replace all washers whenever the fuel pulsation damper is loosened or removed.

Slowly loosen the fuel pulsation damper one complete turn.
If pressure is available, fuel would gush out confirming there is pressure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuelPressureRelieve99Accord_1.jpg

If pressure is not available, next to it you can see the fuel pressure regulator. Remove the hose and attach another hose with a collection at its end. Turn ignition switch ON. If fuel rushes out, fuel pump is ok and the regulator is faulty. If no fuel rushes out, check the PGM-FI main relay and fuel pump.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay99Accord_1.jpg

2. Ignition. This would be more complex as it involves many components so the first step is to test for sparks at spark plugs. Remove a plug wire and attach a spark plug to its end and ground it to the engine. DO NOT ground it to battery negative terminal, soarking can cause the battery to blow up.
Crank the engine and watch the spark if any, it should be bright blue and if it is dull orange, the ignition coil is weak.

Let me know what you find out.
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 7:06 AM