1999 Honda Accord 1999 Accord Coupe EX jerking between gear

HONDAACCORDINGLY
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD

I hope someone can help me. Recently, I noticed my car jerking between automatic shifting between 3rd and 4th gear. During this period of jerking, the car can not accelerate. It maintains its current speed despite me pressing on the accelerator. It is only after I let up on the accelerator and try to accelerate again does the car accelerate smoothly as it transitions between 3rd and 4th gear. Sometimes, it takes 3-4 tries and during each of these attempts, the car jerks forward and backward (enough to move the passengers bodies a little), and does not accelerate beyond about 60mph.

On a side note, recently my car failed inspection for emissions. I purchased "Guaranteed to Pass" emissions cleaning fluid from Pep Boys and ran it through my fuel system. This problem started about 4-5 fillups following the use of this fluid. Not sure if the problem is related to the use of the fluid.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you in advance,
Sam
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 8:33 PM

ZACKMAN
Your check engine light should be on right now if you failed you state emission test. The shop that performed the test should have given you paperwork as to what codes that popped out. Please post the code numbers so we can begin the diagnostic.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 10:30 PM
HONDAACCORDINGLY
Hello Zackman,

The code was 0420. According to AutoZone diagnosticsc, it was specific for Catalytic efficiency. The probably causes were a defective catalytic converter, engine misfire or running condition, large vacuum leak, or engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide seals or piston rings.

I will say that my check engine light has been on for 3-4 years with my Maintenance required light being on intermittently during this time also. I DO get regular mainenance, engine flushes, transmission fluid changes, and routine tune-ups. My mechanic told me the check engine light was on because it was a faulty oxygen sensor but that was 3-4 years ago when it first came on.

Not sure what to make of these issues. Hope you can help.

Thanks,
sam
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 11:07 PM
ZACKMAN
This is from Honda Technical Service Bulletin

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99accordtsb420_1.jpg

This is from Mitchell1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99accordp420_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99accordp420_2_1.jpg

Your Maintenance light comes on due to the check engine light problem. P0420 is serious enough cause for the computer to flash the Maintenance light on since the check engine light has been "ignored". All your problem is around a bad catalytic converter. Replacing the cat converter is the only remedu for you to pass the emission test.

According to Honda, there are two different converters being used for that particular year, and you have to make sure that you get the right one. Description is on the TSB.
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 5:45 PM
HONDAACCORDINGLY
Zackman,

Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it. However, are you saying that the jerking between gear shifts 3 to 4 ( 65mph and 2800rpm) is directly related to the catalytic converter problem? I mean my check engine light has been on for 4 years. Will the jerky movements and stoppage in acceleration cease once the catalytic converter is replaced? I noticed today that I hav to let go of the gas and accelerate very slowly in order to avoid the jerky movements I described above.

Hope you can help,
Thanks,
Sam
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 10:55 PM
ZACKMAN
You may have had the CEL for years, but now the cat actually is plugged up. At that speed and rpm, there is a bunch of exhaust trying to escape and and the plugged cat is preventing the gas to leave. Once the computer "sees" that you have too much pressure in the exhaust system, it retards the fuel and air intake into the combustion chamber. That means less power, and the computer also cuts other attempts to create power, you meshing the the gas pedal to increase speed.

While there is in no way for sure that this is your only problem, but I am leaning towards that as being the main contributor. You may have a fault in the transmission shifting solenoid, but the cat has increased the effect of the problem. I have seen this happened to a Nissan in the past.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 12:53 AM