1999 Honda Accord

ERIC VENCIO
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Hi,
The engine, when accelerating, emits a 'whining' sound. I changed the alternator and air con belts, wires, distrb. Cap and rotor, already. Timing belt including water pump was changed 6 months ago. The car picks up speed except theres the omnipresent audible whining engine sound. One mechanic suggested its the alternator bearings or the Air compressor bearing thats causing the sound. (Its like "Wee" when you accelerate ) I wish I can describe it well but for one, the Vtec engine lacks the 'Whoom' sound that it should have. Brought this car to a Muffler shop, no muffler problem. I have changed to a K&N filter yesterday, it still has that sound. 7 days ago, while cruising and decelerating to a stop sign, the car shudders and died. RPM was showing fluctuatuing to zero. I did not notice the engine light On when this was happening. Mechanic test drove, didn't do the stalling, and I just opted to replace the items above 2 days ago. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. --ERIC
Thursday, April 10th, 2008 AT 9:38 AM

BRUCE HUNT
Ok Let me relate my thoughts on this. What comes to mind is that a bearing is dragging the engine. Believe it or not, but something as simple as a bearing going out can drag the engine down. The engine can't always recover and thus dies. What I might suggest is to remove or take off temporarily one belt at a time and start the engine. You should be able to pinpoint which system is causing the problem.
Thursday, April 10th, 2008 AT 1:58 PM