1997 Honda Accord still overheating

FANMAN9707
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I had a thermostat go bad and did not catch it in time so I ended up with a cracked radiator. I changed the thermostat and the radiator and it stayed cool for a month or more now it is overheating again. The thermostat is working both of the hoses to it are warm, but the overflow is hissing and spraying hot water out of it. Is it possible putting to much water in the radiator and the resevior could somehow make it overheat? Or a clog possibly? When we reconnected the bottom hose we had to bend it just a little more than it was to get it to go on. I'm thinking this may also be the problem. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 2:25 PM

MFISH98
Well it is very possible that when the motor overheated previously the head gasket was weakened. And now you may be building up air in the system because of the head gasket. A clog can also cause the problem, but if both hoses are hot it sounds more likely that it is a head gasket.
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 2:38 PM
FANMAN9707
Is there anyway to test that? Changing the head gasket carries a pretty hefty price. Also if was the head gasket wouldn't it overheat pretty fast and run poorly with a loss in mpg. My car seems to run fine and the needle takes it's sweet time to make it's way past the halfway mark on the gauge. It also stays perfectly cool when driving. Temp doesn't start to rise unless you are parked for a few minutes.
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 2:54 PM
MFISH98
Yes you are right in saying it would overheat quickly. And it depends on the severity of the blown gasket as to how it would perform. Sometimes you will get white smoke from the tail pipe. But in your case, since you mentioned that it doesn't overheat when you are moving makes me think about the cooling fan. Is it working? You might let it run at an idle for a little bit (paying attention to how hot it gets) and see if the fan ever kicks on.
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 3:04 PM
FANMAN9707
Yes the fans seem to be working fine. Yesterday when I noticed the needle start to move I heard the fans come on. The fans would also cause a check engine light to appear would they not?
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 3:19 PM
MFISH98
I'm not sure that the fans would trip the check engine light. But something you can check now is while it is getting hot try and squeeze the radiator hoses. (Wear some gloves or use a rag as it will be warm/hot) But what I want you to look for is whether or not the hose feels solid. (Like it has pressure built up, and check it after the thermostat has opened.)

Also, your problems could be caused by a bad radiator cap if you have not already replaced it.
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 3:56 PM
FANMAN9707
I will try the hose trick and the bad radiator cap could very well be a possibility. When I got the radiator, the cap would not go on and we had to slightly bend it to get it on. I will try these things and let you know the results. Thank You
Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 4:00 PM
JOEY2234
I have almost the same exact problem, exact same car.I recently replaced my radiator which was leaking due to a chunk of ice that was hit. After replacing that the radiator cap didnt fully fit all that well, but still went on. When I am driving my car it NEVER overheats. It will overheat if I leave it idling for about 5-10minutes or if I sit in traffic long enough. It doesnt overheat all that quick and when it overheats, it spits fluid out of the reservoir tank.

I am going to replace the cap today if you find a solution please let me know as it would be so helpful.
Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 12:04 PM
FANMAN9707
Let me know if the radiator cap fixes the problem. I am going to flush mine first and see what happens. Thx
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 11:39 AM
FANMAN9707
I think I figured it out. The guy at Advance told me to take the radiator cap off and let the car idle til it starts to get hot and the radiator fluid should start bubbling out of the radiator. Rev the engine a little if needed to raise the temp of the engine. When their are no more bubbles it should be fine. I was told when you change or drain a radiator you should do this to get any air out of the system. Good luck and I hope this helps
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM