1997 Honda Accord Intermittent starting problem

• 1 POST

1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

Periodically this car simply will not start (turn over). The battery is fine - radio, lights etc. All work fine, but turning the key to start the car, there is nothing - no clicking of the starter - simply nothing. I try pulling the car into Drive and then putting it back into park to determine if maybe that switch is failing but still nothing. To solve this problem, if we simply jump it quickly (so I know were not charging the battery at all), the car will start immediately. I can then turn it of and restart it repeatedly. It'll then run fine for days, weeks, or months without having the problem - but the problem will ultimately return. I beleive we've put a new starter and a new ignition switch into the vehicle. What could be causing this type of problem which seems to totally go away for some period by simply jumping the car?

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 1:25 PM

• 13 POSTS

I had a very similar problem with my '02 recently. Turns out my positive batt cable connection was corroded inside, and resulting in no crank. Shortly after, I realized I had let the battery completely dry out, possibly due to a leak in the case. In both cases the engine could be jumped OK. Check your battery fluid level. Be careful, as it has acid inside. Gemtly pry the caps off and check level. Add only distilled water as needed.

Sunday, July 18th, 2010 AT 10:07 PM