1997 Honda Accord FAN RUNS, NOW OVERHEATING

MCM97
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 206000 miles

Not sure what Wheel Drive Type my car has, so my answer may be incorrect.

For several years now when I turn off my '97 Honda Accord, the fan runs for a very long time, sometimes up to 10 minutes or longer. I have asked mechanics about this and they all say it's normal; however, I haven't seen or heard other Accords that do the same thing.

Anyway, yesterday, while stopped at a fast food drive through, I noticed billows of steam coming out of the front of my car, and, when I glanced at the gauge, saw that the heat was in the red zone. I sat for awhile, then started up again. When I got on the road, the needle went down into the normal zone, but as soon as I slowed down, it climbed again.

Today it doesn't matter if I'm stopped or driving, the needle climbs--although not to the red zone.

I am driving to Chicago a week from today, so must have it fixed, but I feel like every repair I have done to this car runs into the $600 range and I do not have that kind of money. What do you think it could be, and what do you think is a reasonable repair cost?

Thank you.

Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 3:50 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi mcm97,

You seem to be having insufficient coolant in the radiator. Check for leakages of the cooling system, unless the radiator or head gaskets are faulty, otherwise the repair should not be vey costl.

Check the radiator coolant level.

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 1:56 PM