ENGINE OVERHEATS AT IDLE...AND A/C STOPPE

1997 Honda Accord

nubian2010

June, 7, 2009 AT 9:36 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic

pls help! My 1997 honda is great car but I noticed it started overheating whenever the car is idling for more than 5 minutes at a time. The coolant from the radiator overspills and causes off course smoking. I also noticed my air conditioning stopped working as well. I observed the fan NOT coming on when the engine is on. Or when the air switch is turned on. On this car its just one fan. I dont have a lot to spend and this is my only car so I cant afford to have it sitting in some mechanics shop for days on end. Is there anything I can do myself? Perhaps to replace the fan?

June, 7, 2009 AT 1:16 PM

Hi nubian2010,

There should be 2 fans and both of them should work when AC is turned ON.

You need to check if the fans are faulty or is it a wiring problem.

Disconnect the fan motor wire connector and apply battery voltage. If fan does not work, you would have to replace them.

nubian2010

June, 11, 2009 AT 1:15 AM

Thanx for the reply. In detail. The car has only one fan not two and it doesnt come on at ignition, or when the a/c is turned on. I will however test its condition by using the battery voltage.

June, 11, 2009 AT 10:36 AM

All Hondas Accord are equipped with 2 fans, seems someone has removed one. This would cause insufficient cooling at idling and the AC would not be as cool as it should be.

When engine overheats, the AC would cut off.

If you need further assistance, just reply to post and I will get back to you.

nubian2010

June, 13, 2009 AT 11:24 PM

Opon further inspection. You're right. Someone did remove the second fan. And also. When the engine is hot. The one fan that is there comes on when the a/c is switched on. However. It only gives hot air now. I'm planning on purchasing and installing the second fan. Hopefully this will help?

June, 14, 2009 AT 1:22 AM

An additional fan would help but if the AC is only blowing hot air, you need to check if there is any fault with the AC system.

AC should be blowing cold when you are on the move as the AC condenser is getting cooling from the moving air.

Check if AC compressor is engaging when turned ON and do you have sufficient freon in the system?

nubian2010

June, 14, 2009 AT 11:11 AM

A/c is not blowing cold air and I dont know how to check for freon I did notice that at a point a lot of mist or white vapor-like air was coming out of the vents along with the cool air. And after that it stopped getting cool.

June, 15, 2009 AT 9:26 AM

If the air becomes cold after turning of AC for a few minutes, then it is frosting which means the evaporator is too cold or fresh air is getting into the cabin.

If it is no more cool all the time, there could be a leakage when the misting happened and oit could be the evaporator coil that is leaking.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage