1997 Honda Accord Engine overheat after 5 minutes of drivin

PHANTOM241
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Engine Cooling problem
1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic 187245 miles

I have a 1997 Honda Accord, 4cylinder, automatic transmission. I try to keep it in good condition, oil check every 3k, and tune up every 50k. However, last week, after driving for an hour on the freeway, I notice the engine temp started to rise slowly to the red zone. I parked it and notice coolant was leaking from the engine and the water tank was empty. Towed it to a mechanic, the mechanic replace the top hose (he called it the "big" hose connecting the engine to the radiator). Filled it with coolant, tested the fans, and said it was good to go. The next day, I drove it and the tempurature started to rise again. I opened the hood and check the coolant level, and it was fine. I notice however that when I leave the car in idle, the RPM would go up by itself w/o stepping on the gas, and slowly after that the engine tempurature would rise. I read some forums and saw that it could be a water pump issue. 1) is it a water pump issue? 2) other hose need to be replaced?

Note: I can hear the fan running after I shut off the engine. 3) Should I be concern about the radiator fan?

I just want to be sure I know my exact problem is so that I wont get ripped off by another mechanic.
Please help !

Kenneth
Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 5:50 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

The over heating could be the Thermostat. When was it last check or changed?

The increase in RPM's - is the check engine light on? It could possibly be the Throttle Position Sensor or a vacuum leak.

The fan continueing to run when vehicle is shut off is normal. The engine will increase in temp 10 - 20 degrees before starting to cool down so the fans stays running to help cool the engine down quicker.
Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 7:09 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi phantom241,

When the hose was changed, the system might not have been bled of trapped air. You checked the coolant level but did you check the radiator cap side?

Insufficient coolant in the system would cause the engine to hunt as the EACV is not getting a proper signal. Honda Accord engines seldom blow their gasket immediately after overheating unless the overheating is very bad. The problem would normally surface after a few weeks or even months.
Saturday, June 14th, 2008 AT 9:47 AM
PHANTOM241
Obxautomedic :

["it could be th thermostat"], thank you for pointing that out to me, i'll do some research on it and have it checked out.

["is the check engine light on?"], Yep, the check engine lights are still on. I'll have the mechanic test the throttle position sensor.

Thanks again for the wealth of information. I feel better knowing these possibities before coming into a shop.

KHLow2008:

Yep, I checked the coolant level in both the water tank and inside the radiator, it seems fine. I've been checking underneath the car and there doesnt seem to be anything leaking anymore.

The 1st mechanic actually did a radiator flush on the car so im hoping thats no longer an issue. He did warn me to drive carefully because there could be a leak in the "other hoses".

Thank you for getting back to me.
Saturday, June 14th, 2008 AT 2:43 PM