1997 Honda Accord Car Vibration

Tires and Wheels problem
1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 298000 miles

When I start accelerating near 40 - 50 miles there is a vibration coming from my front wheels. I think mainly the passenger side. I already had my tires balance; but still my front starts to shake. What could be the problem. What would need to be replaced? What would be the estimated cost?

Friday, April 25th, 2008 AT 8:28 AM

I don't think this will be expensive. Go to a very reputable tire store and explain the problem. They can narrow down the issue.

First thought is how are the tires wearing? Less tread in the center means the tire has been overinflated, while even wearing on the outside and inside edge means that the tire has been under inflated. Those conditions will wear a tire out prematurely but usually will not cause the problem you are experiencing. If the tire is wearing unevenly inside or outside you have an alignment issue or a suspension/steering system problem. This is usually a ball joint failing.

Look at the tires closely to see if the tread pattern is perfect and not distorted. Any distortion and the tire could be separating. Any bumps on the tire could also indicate a separation.

Any good tire store service person should be able to locate the source of the problem.

Another possible issue is a brake that is hanging. This will be detectable by driving the vehicle and after the vibration, stop and touch the rotors on the front one at a time and compare the heat given off. If one is much hotter than the other it could be dragging and I would suspect that this has caused the rotor to warp. Don't have a rotor turned but rather replaced.

Much of this you can do yourself. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Friday, April 25th, 2008 AT 9:32 AM