1997 Honda Accord AC Belt replacement

RYAN.JESSUP
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I have a haynes manual and the instructions for replacing any belts just says to loosen the tensioner bolt and the adjustment bolt. However when I got down to it I only found one pully assembly that had what I thought would be a tensioner bolt or an adjustment bolt. However tighten or loosen either or all of the bolts on this assembly and the pully doesnt move. Am I missing something? How do I get the belt to go on if I cant adjust the tension to get it to slip over the pulley? Any advice on replacing this belt would be very appreciated.

Ryan J
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 8:15 PM

JACK42
If yours looks like the pic I included,(A/C) you have to loosen the nut in the center of the pulley to be able to adjust it.The alt should have a lock nut on the top pivot bolt and an adjusting bolt on the same mount that you llosen to change the belt

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_Graphic_14.jpg

+1
Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 AT 8:13 AM
RYAN.JESSUP
I will go back at it again this afternoon. I knew it was something simple like this, ur a godsend sir.

Ryan J
Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 AT 4:07 PM
RYAN.JESSUP
Ok so I got the belt on there but now it either squeaks so loud u cant hear urself think or it sounds like its to loose I cant find a happy medium in adjustment. Any suggestions there?
Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 AT 5:51 PM
RYAN.JESSUP
I finally got the belt to stop squeaking. Possibly overtightened it though because I left the car running and went back inside when I came out a few minutes later the car was off. I went and started it again and it stayed on for about 10 seconds and turned back off. I loosened the tension bolt to see if this would be able to fix it and it and no it turned off even faster this time. Stupid me went and got in the driver seat and turned it on and pushed the gas petal, the car stayed on but it started squeaking and then smoking so I turned it off and opened the hood. Smoke was coming from the belt area. I could not get the car to stay on so I tried taking the belt back off and tada the car stays on. Its not overheating but now I have no idea what could be causing the car to turn off only when the ac belt is on?
Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM
JACK42
Wait til it cools down and see if the a/c compressor bearing will turn by hand. Did it throw or break the belt before?
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 8:53 PM
RYAN.JESSUP
Before this whole problem started I opened the hood because the ac stopped working. It wouldnt blow cold air. The belt was broke and very jagged at the break. The belt looked pretty new though. Compared to the one I bought to replace it they were almost identical.
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM
RYAN.JESSUP
The ac compressor pulley wont spin by hand no. I imagine this is the issue with it not staying on because its connected to the drive pulley right?
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
JACK42
Sounds like the bearing froze up. This is usually the case when the belt breaks like you described.
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 8:10 AM