1996 Honda Accord Timing Belt

FOREVERSTAYND
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
How difficult is it to change the timing belt on a 1995=1996 Honda Accord? What all does it take. Do you have to have any special equipment? Please give me some details. Can I do it myself or is a mechanic going to need to do it? I am an experienced shade tree mechanic but never did this on foreign car.
Tuesday, April 8th, 2008 AT 8:08 PM

BMRFIXIT
It takes some knowing to do.
And if your not sure of your self on how to do a timing belt Honda is the wrong car to start with.
May I suggest you get a manual and read all about it before you attempt doing it,
until you are 100% sure of your self that you can handle the job don't do it.
I can get you the timing marks if you still need them let me know
PS if you are to do it change the water pump too or have it done
Tuesday, April 8th, 2008 AT 8:27 PM
BRUCE HUNT
I recommend changing the tensioner as well as the water pump. The one important piece of advise that I can offer is to make sure the alignments for the cam and crank are right on. But after you put the new belt on they still must be right on. I think the hardest part that people have to worry about is the bolt on the crankshaft in both removing and installing. It is put on very tightly and must be reinstalled the same. Honda makes a special wrench to assist with that removal. I made my own and would not attempt to take off or replace the bolt on the crankshaft with out it, but it can be done.
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 AT 12:32 PM
EEBOTE
If you decided to take it to the mechanic, pls. Stay away from Purrfect Auto Repair Shop unless you really know them. I took my car recently to that shop and now I have problem with this high pitch noise that sounded like coming from the timing belt. The mechanic said it is because the timing belt cover was bad/warped thus the noise comes out of it. Fyi only. Thanks.
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 AT 2:20 PM
BMRFIXIT
If you read above
you will notice that (Bruce ) had recommend changing the tensioner and water pump that is for a reason
water pump will fail soon after and you have to do the job all over again
and tensioner and pulley also
if the belt too tight will give you a noise too
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 AT 6:20 PM
JAMES SNIDER
Pully bolt wont budge on the 1996 Honda accord as if it is frozen
Saturday, December 10th, 2016 AT 2:24 PM