1995 Honda Accord when A/C is on the engine dies (during id

HOODLEEHOO
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
Air Conditioning problem
1995 Honda Accord 200, 00 miles

Strange question. When it's really hot the air conditioner quits cooling and the car keeps dying while idling. The oil light comes on, but there is plenty of oil in there. Got an oil change, no help. Plenty of coolant, put refrigerant in there. Temp gauge shows that it isn't even close to overheating.

When a/c is off the car doesn't die. In the morning or evening there's no problem because it's not as hot outside.

Any idea what might be going on? We are stumped!
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi hoodleehoo,

What is the idling speed with the A/C turned off?

When the engine did not stall with the A/C turned on, what is the idling speed?

Does the idling speed drops and then move back up when the A/C clutch engages?
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 7:34 AM
HOODLEEHOO
Thanks for getting back to me! Without a/c idle is about 1150 rpm and with a/c on high about 850 rpm. Mph is hard as it just barely goes over 0 w/o a/c and with a/c about 3/5 that speed.
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 2:21 PM
KHLOW2008
At 1150 the idling speed is too high. Normal idling speed at operating temperature should be around 700 with or without A/C.

Either the IAC is not working ciorrectly or the valve clearances are too tight.

Get the throttle body and IAC cleaned and retest.
If the idling speed does not increase when engine is started from cold, the Fast Idle Thermal Valve needs to be checked. Ensure all hoses to IAC and FITV are not clogged. Coolant has to run through them to maintain correct IAC operations.

Get the valve clearances checked as well.
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 3:03 PM
HOODLEEHOO
Okay. But would the idle being too high cause it to die when the a/c is on? I would have expected being too low to cause it, but not too high.
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 3:56 PM
HOODLEEHOO
I adjusted the idle to be 700 rpm. Didn't fix the problem. :-/
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 5:11 PM
HOODLEEHOO
Okay, the IAC seems to be fine. Oddly enough, after allowing it to run for a few minutes the idle seems to be too slow! Maybe that's the problem. It's tightened all the way so we can't make it any faster. :-/
-1
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 11:06 PM
KHLOW2008
Idling speed should only be adjusted when the engine has reached operating temperature.

Tightening the idle adjust screw would decrease the idling speed and not increase it if I read your comment correctly.

The usual position for the idling speed adjusting screw is about 1/2 to 3/4 turn from fully closed.

If the idling speed is too low, turning on the A/C can cause it to stall but the IAC is computer controlled to compensate the additional load from the compressor and maintain at 700 rpm.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 10:14 AM
HOODLEEHOO
Oops, sorry I was relaying information from my father. It was loosened as much as it will loosen without falling out. Lol
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 7:40 PM
KHLOW2008
Loosen the screw and pull it out. Clean the dirst attached to it.
Remove the air cleaner hose.
Get a can of carb cleaner to spray into the throttle body.
Get a piece of rag to scrub the inner part of the throttle body. Remember to push the throttle plate opened fully, the part that the plate seats on when closed is the most important to be clean.
Spray carb cleaner into the idle adjust screw hole and the 2 other ports inside the throttle body.
Let the carb cleaner soak.
Reinstall the idle adjust screw and back off 1/2 turn from fully tightened. DO NOT force tighten the idle adjust screw.
Retest by starting the engine and allowing to warm up to operating temperature.
Note : Initial starting coud be difficult due to the presence of excessive carb cleaner and the running might be erratic for a short while.

When A/C is turned on, if the idle drops before going back up, remove the 2 holding bolts of the IAC at rear of manifold. Spray carb cleaner into the ports to clear the dirt inside.
-1
Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 8:24 AM