1995 Honda Accord Engine stalls

EFINNELL
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
Engine stalls while driving. Won't restart immediately. After setting a while it may restart, or not. After setting longer it will start, and drive normal for weeks or months then it will stall out again for no apparent reason. Have replaced ingnition, all fuel filters. Bad fuel has been ruled out as cause. On 65 mile trip drove fine, set for 6 hours and started home. Got 7 miles and stalled. Set 20 min. And started, got 1 mile and stalled again. Towed to Honda, found nothing wrong, drove home. Next day stalled again. Towed to local honda, found nothing, (after $600). Drove home, got 3 miles and stalled again. Towed back to Honda, found nothing. Drove home and fine for 3 months then stalled again. Any ideas?

updated 8-10-09
I had the relay mentioned replaced. Problem remains. Mech says computer needs replacing.
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 12:02 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi efinnell,

Symptoms are consistent with an intermittently failing PGM-FI main relay. This is a known fault and if you resolder the PGM-FI main relay circuit board, it would work as good if not better than a new one. The cause are broken soldered joints on the circuit board.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay95Accord_7.jpg

Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 AT 2:17 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi efinnell,

When you have any new updates, please use the "Reply to question" link so that I will be notified and can get back to you when I am online.

The ECM causing the problem is possible but just need to confirm this.

Was the replaced PGM-FI main relay a new unit?
Symptoms exactly the same?
When engine stalled and was not able to be started, were the dash indicator lights showing?
When problem occurs and you are not able to restart, try this to confirm if there are any fault with the ignition switch. Slowly the ignition key to ON and monitor if the dash indicators lights shows brightly or flickers while key is being turned. Proceed to turn to START and keep monitoring the dash lights. If lights flickers or goes off while cranking and engine is not able to start, you have a bad ignition switch that fails intermittently.

Does the Check engine light go off after 2 seconds when the ignition switch was turned ON?
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 2:59 PM