1994 Honda Accord Wont Start after engine is hot.

DWR6659
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
The car runs fine but in the last six months after the car has been running and the engine is hot the car wont restart. The engine turns over and tries to start but will not start. If I leave the car out in the hot sun, same story. I took it to the first mechanic and he replaced the distributor. No luck. The second mechanic said it was the fuel pump and replaced it. No luck. Once the car cools down or is in the shade for a couple of hours, it starts fine and runs fine. No one can seem to figure this one out.
Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 8:48 PM

BMRFIXIT
I would suspect and check PGM - Fi main relay
located behid left side of dash

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_533.jpg

Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 9:03 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Sounds like a main relay.
Main relay is located under the dash on the drivers side below the steering wheel. It powers the fuel pump and sends 12 volts to the positive side of the injectors. If this is at fault you wont have 12 volts at the injectors or the fuel pump will be inoperative. So the pump replacement is more understandable, sort of.

These accords also have had problems with distributor bearings so the distributer may have also been an issue. If the vehicle does not have an injector pulse or spark the distributor is probably the cause. There are three coils inside the distributor(crank, TDC, and coil)and a igniter. All known to fail. These can be tested for an ac voltage when cranking. The spec is between.5 to 1.5 volts. If you have an oscilliscope you can test it with more accurate results. You can also test the igniter with a logic probe by testing for an ac pulse coming out of the ecm and into the igniter. Then test for a pulse coming out of the igniter. If it has a pulse coming in and not one on the output then the igniter is bad.
I know you replaced it, but may have been a good idea anyways.
Sunday, October 4th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM