1994 Honda Accord Transmission Slippage

CARLJRUS
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 94 Honda Accord with 255,000 miles. I was told there is a manual adjustment that could be done if the car was shifting a little hard. I am pretty good with cars just never got into any transmissions. Thanks for all the help.
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 1:12 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi carljrus,

At the throttle body there are 2 cables, one for the accelerator and the other leading to the transmission, just below the lower radiator hose.

This is known as the throttle pressure cable and it controls the transmission line pressure.

The throttle lever at transmission side should start opening as soon as the throttle starts to open. If the cable is adjusted too short, there would be excessive line pressure resulting in harsh shifting.

If the cable is too long, pressure would be low resulting is slipping or flaring at moment of upshift and downshift would be delayed with lack of accelerating power.

At the throttle side, note if there is any slack in the trans throttle cable. If none, release the lock nut at transmission end and adjust until there is only minimal slack. Slowly turn the throttle opener and note the movement of the trans throttle cable.

Trans lever should start moving nly when the throttle plate starts opening, not before or after. Some testing and readjustment might be required to get the correct setting.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 7:56 AM
CARLJRUS
Thanks for the reply for the transmission adjustment. Is there anything else that there could be? If not how hard is it to rebuild a transmission.

I also have a 4l60E transmission from a 00 GMC Sonoma that needs a complete rebuild.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 10:13 PM
KHLOW2008
Apart from throttle cable out of adjustment, fluid condition, engine mounts, throttle position sensor and trans internal faults can cause harsh shifting.

If harsh shifting only occurs for specific speeds, then it is the clutch concerned that is faulty.

I would say rebuilding is not a DIY job in terms of difficulty. Special tools would be required.
+1
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM