1994 Honda Accord Transimission Problem or Timing Belt

VLATSACCORD
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
1994 Accord 187K 2.2L Automatic

I recently switch my 94 transmission for a 95 transmission and I notice that every time I speed up I could feel the tramission change gears and if I drive for more then 30 minutes, I will have to step on the gas harderfo4 the car to accelerate. If I drive longer the car would not move at all if my foot is on the brake or gas. I have not changed my timing belt yet.
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 7:15 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Timing belt has nothing to do with the symptom.

One thihng I would check is to see if the cat converter is plugging up. Sometimes the glow when they are plugged. If you think that may be happening, the front pipe can be disconnected enough to allow the exhaust to not go through it. Just for testing purposes of course.
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 7:35 PM
VLATSACCORD
What Glow are you taking about? Also does this problem relate to the check engine light being on?
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 7:54 PM
SERVICE WRITER
IT sure could. You need to get the codes and post them.

The converter willl get so hot when it is plugging up it can turn cherry red, a yellowish or just glow.
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 8:26 PM
VLATSACCORD
O.K but I would like to know why does it not happen when I start the car? Why does it occur when I begin driving for more then 30 minutes? As if it's draging.
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 8:42 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Because it has not built up enough heat from a cold start. Partially plugged may be a more accurate description. Some, but not enough flow is happening and building up heat.

I still would like to know the codes first. My thought is a theory and it needs to be tested. Codes may eliminate or validate my theory and may change the course of diagnosis.

A converter can be tested with a back pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge before disconnecting to verify. IF you rap on the bottom of the converter and hear any rattling this will help to confirm a broken up cat.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 5:46 AM