1994 Honda Accord Honda WON'T START PLEASE HELP!

COLINM696
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
OK, I'll start from the beginning. A month ago my Honda Accord LX manual car drove fine except for when I applied too much gas, it would idle perfect. It would bog down until I let off a little bit then shift just fine. There was like a "sweet spot" for my gas pedal to avoid the bogging. It drove for a while like that until one day It just died while I was driving, started right back up and drove a couple more miles, then died again.This time it wouldn't turn over, just crank. I'd have it towed to my house to have it start right up like nothing happened the next day!? I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, distributer cap and rotor, Main Relay, and new plugs and wires with no result!?

I've read some forums regarding similar issues to mine and all signs pointed to the Main Relay. I just bought one the other night put it in, and now it will not stay running at all and throws an ignition systems code when it dies, code 15. The one thing I did notice, is with the original Main Relay when I'd turn it over, the fuel pump would turn on start just fine idle until it warmed up then start to bog and shut down. Id try to start right away just after and would not hear the fuel pump kick on, but I would have spark.

When I throw the NEW Main Relay in, the fuel pump kicks on EVERY time and I have spark. Once it starts then bogs and dies I have no spark but fuel pump still kicks on. This is driving me CRAZY!? I'm starting to think It might be electrical wiring issues shorting things out? I would GREATLY APPRECIATE some insight in this incredibly irritating problem, Thank You!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/559361_Money_1.jpg

Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 1:13 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi COLIM696,

You are throwing so much $ on the table, it should get you a new car.

Code 15 means the distributor is faulty and the symptoms do indicate that. Most likely the ignition coil and/or ignition control module is bad.
Monday, August 9th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
COLINM696
Thank you KHLow for your input. The thing I'm confused on, is that it only comes on until I turn the key off then it disappears? I had my dad take a look at it and he has a mechanic friend. They hooked it up to some kind of computer and they say everything checks out right. They said my engine is starving for fuel and that I have fuel in the fuel rail, but it's not getting into the engine, but my injectors are fine? They came to the conclusion that it is a bad ECM? Is that possible with my symptoms or could it be a shorted out wire somewhere? Not sure they took the time to really check because it was 90* that day and I wanted a professional opinion.
Thank You!
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 3:50 PM
KHLOW2008
When you have a Code 15, the ECM would not get any signal to fire the injectors. It could be a bad ECM but the Code 15 have to be checked and rectified first.

Connect a test lamp to the Black/Yellow wire and while cranking, ensure the light stays on, indicating there is battery voltage there. If not, you could have a bad ignition switch.
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 9:12 AM
COLINM696
I'm sorry about the late reply everyone! Thank you SO much for your help with this annoying issue! The good news is, I took a chance with a gut feeling and just replaced the whole distributor coils and all. Wala! Fired right up and purred like a kitten:)! The messed up part is, the first time I needed a tow the tow driver explained to me it might be the shaft inside the distrubutor shorting out. Seems he was absolutely right based on the fact that everything else was fine. Thanks AGAIN everyone!
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 AT 1:04 AM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

Thanks for the input.

Have a great day.
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 AT 1:13 PM