1992 Honda Accord Smog and brake problem

65PLUS
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
I have had my Honda for for 12 or more years. But my problem is possibly three fold. The brakes are spongy after the car starts to warm, but worse it fails smog there is a hissing noise near the firewall. After taking the car to two mechanics they could not find the vacuum leak. This repair could get expensive so I am doing some of the work myself. I was told that the brake booster could be the culprit. If so can the booster itself be repaired. Tried one from junk but it didn't work. Could it really cause both brake problems and failing smog. Lastly, I found a fuel injector that leaks sometimes. I will probably replace this myself. I do need some guidance in beginning this repair. Were should I start? Should it be the brake booster or the fuel injector?
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 1:07 PM

F4I_GUY
You are most likely failing smog because of the vacuum leak. I would get the intake manifold and vacuum lines smoke tested. This will make it easy to find the vacuum leak. It could be the brake booster, or the vacuum line. There are many possibilities.

With regards to the spongy brake pedal, check your brake fluid level. If low, you may have a leak somewhere in the system.
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 9:33 PM