1992 Honda Accord Not sure what is wrong. Won't start

SHELEA
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 92 Honda Accord LX that has strange symptoms. I parked it in my carport recently and the next morning tried to start it and the engine light came on (steady) and the (D)rive light on the shift console was blinking. It cranked, but did not start. The battery is only about 2 months old and still feeds the electronics such as the radio and blinkers and headlights.

I'm a senior living on just social security and need to know if this might be an 'easy' repair, or might be major. I will have to have it towed, and that is expensive in itself. Would applying a rubber mallet help?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 5:33 PM

Is the starter working? Also, if the check engine light came on, that means there will be a trouble code storred in the computer that should help identify the problem. Most parts stores will scan them for free, but since the car won't start, you cant get it to them. What I recommend is to call around to the local nationally recognized parts stores and ask if they will lend or rent a scanner for you to use. They just plug in (I believe under the dash on your year) and then check the computer for codes and tell you what the problem is.

Let me know about the starter, if it's working. If it is, then we can try some other things.

Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 12:12 AM
SHELEA
They'd have to supply a tech, too. I'm a disabled senior living alone on SS. As to the starter, if you mean does it crank, yes. And the battery is new and sound. Just no response from the rest of the car. Since I still haven't finished paying for the new distributor, I need to decide to save to fix it, or find a rocket launcher to put it out of it's (and my) misery.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 7:28 AM
DPL2003_88
I have a 1993 Accord EX doing the exact same thing. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect, the car should start. You need to check the ground cable on the battery and the frame and engine for starters. The second thing is the ECM is going or is already bad. ECM is your onboard computer.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 4:40 PM