1992 Honda Accord Brake Indicator Lamps

DR I A ISMAIL
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
1992 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 213, 00 miles

The indicator lamps for doors brake lights including handbrake and luggage boot open function normally.
Recently the brake light indicator at the bottom of the cluster and the handbrake indicator lamp remain lit even when the handbrake is released when I start the car with the handbrake ON and the brake pedal is pressed. This does not happen if the hbrake dpedal is pressed before the handbrake is puuled up to the ON Position. The two indicator lamps also come on if I pull up the handbrake and subsequently press the brake pedal and do not switch off when the handbrake is released. The lamps work normally if the handbrake is pulled up with the brake pedal pressed down. The bulbs and the Oil level switches are in order.
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 8:20 AM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Sounds like you need to adjust your parking brake cables.
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 9:50 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Per your request via email

Parking brake adjustment.

1 Loosen park brake equalizer adjusting nut.
2 Start engine, and depress brake pedal several times to set self-adjusting brakes.
3 Shut off engine.
4 raise and support rear of vehicle on safety stands.
5 Pull parking brake lever up one notch.
6 Tighten equalizer nut until rear wheels drag slightly while turning by hand.
7 Release parking brake lever (rear wheels should rotate freely)
8 Pull parking brake up 4-8 clicks (rear wheels should be locked)
9 Release parking brake lever
10 Turn ignition on
11 Adjust park brake light switch by bending switch plate until light comes on when lever is pulled up one notch, and goes out when lever is released.
12 Lower vehicle.
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 8:41 PM
DR I A ISMAIL
Whilst thanking Mr buddycraigg for his kind reply what I wanted elaborated upon was how adjusting the parking brake cables would solve my problem as the parking brake indicator lamp functions normally when the brake pedal is not pressed down. When the parking brake is ON the indicator lamp lights up and when pushed down the indicator light switches off. Its only when the brake pedal is pressed down when the parking brake is ON even a notch that both the brake lamp and parking brake indicator remains Lit even after the parking brake is pushed down
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 1:17 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
That is why step 2 needs to be done.
The rear auto adjusting brakes need to, well, auto adjust.

Hopefully the brakes (and warning lights) are working correctly for you now
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 1:24 AM
DR I A ISMAIL
I followed te instructions given and now thanks to you the brake light does not come on when I press the brake pedal and the parking brake light goes out whenI push down the parking brake. In short all is well.
Unfortunately there is still the issue that when I start the car, with the parking brake ON, and before the cluster of warning lights go off, the brake light remains and the parking brake indicator light only goes out when the ignition is switched off; not when the parking brake is pushed down. However if I wait until the cluster of warning lights go off, the system works perfectly.
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 2:44 AM
DR I A ISMAIL
I have since made a donation.

Look forward to your answer to thelast query I sent you about the problem that remains when pressing the brake pedal before the cluster of warning lamps switch off.

Being curious I would like to know how the non functioning of the auto brake adjust gave rise to the problem.

God Bless
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 6:36 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
I'm sorry, but I have to ask you to say this differently.
I don't understand the "IF/THEN" parts of the problem.

And thanks for the donation
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 9:18 AM
DR I A ISMAIL
I am truly sorry for not being clear. I meant that one problem remains. When I start the car before the cluster of warning lights go off (checking whether doors and luggage boot are open, brake lamps and brake oil level ), with the hand brake on and press the brake pedal, the brake warning light and the parking brake warning light remain lit and the former does not switch off when I push the parking brake stick down. They only go off when I switch off the Engine.

This problem does not occur when I start the car after the cluster of warning lights go off.

For knowledge sake I would like to know how the auto adjust of brakes is associated with the warning lights

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 7:43 PM
DR I A ISMAIL
Its morning here and I found that the problem with the warning lights has re-appeared and that when I switch on the ignition and press the brake pedal ever so slightly for just a moment, the brake watning light and the parking brake warning light comes ON and do not go out whehter the patking brake stick is pulled up or pushes down. As before the system works normally when the brake pedal is not pressed down. Sadly I am back to square one. I do hope you can help me to resolve this defect
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
That might be proper English, but I can tell that we are going to have a communication barrier. You said the "former" doesn't got off, but then called the lights "them"

************************************
please answer these questions.
Do you have a parking brake warning light?
Do you have a brake failure warning light?
Do you have a brake fluid level warning light?
Is this a car that was built for the US market?

I'm going to have you start unplugging things after I hear back from you.
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 10:11 PM
DR I A ISMAIL
Ref you mail here are the answers to your questions:
QUESTION 1. Parking brake warning light -- Yes

QUESTION 2. Brake failure warning light - Yes, it is the same as the parking brake warning light. The user manual refers to this indicator lamp as the parking brake/brake failure warning light

QUESTION 3. Brake fluid level warning light - this is also done by the parking brake/brake failure warning light.
3a. There is aalso brake lamp warning light the "BRAKE LAMP". Located under the cluster of warning indicating whether the doors and luggage bood lid are open or not. These warning lights come on for about 2 seconds when the ignition is switched on.
The Brake lamp normally should stay on if a brake light does not work until lamp is repaired or replaced. In my case the bulbs are functioning. But the brake lamp remains lit' so also the parking brake warning lights when the brake pedal is pressed. 3b In the user manual there is reference to the German model where the warning lamp indicates not only a defective bulb but also a defective light circuit
QUESTION 4. This is not a model for the US Market but for the export market other than US and I believe Europe.

I do hope the answers are clearly stated.

Best regards and thanks for your help
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 11:41 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
So do you have 2 lights?
1 light is for brake failure/ parking brake / low fluid.
1 light is for a problem with the rear brake light bulbs.
Is that correct?
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 12:26 AM
DR I A ISMAIL
Yes that is correct
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 8:21 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Ok, it will be about 12 hours before I have access to my books, I hope my US schematics match your car.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:33 AM
DR I A ISMAIL
Thank you very much.
Look forward to your advice
God Bless
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
This might be a short lived conversation.

For US models there are 2 dash lights.
An ABS warning light (anti-lock brake system)
and a park brake/ brake failure/ fluid level light.

A green/red wire (mostly green with a red strip) is connected to all three of the sensors.

Unplug the wire to your fluid level sensor (I assume it will be the easiest to get to)
Go through all of your steps and see if you warning lights stay one.

Next unplug your parking brake switch and go through all of your steps again.

If your light is still staying on, then we are going to have to figure out how your failure warning system works. The US models get their failure signal from a pressure switch in the ABS controller.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 8:19 PM
DR I A ISMAIL
Thank you for your time.

What you have asked me to do was done in our efforts out here to solve the problem. When the brake fluid leads are disconnected the problem does not disappear and the indicator lamps remain ON.

When the parking brake is disconnected there is no problem except that the parking brake / oil level / failure indicator lamp does not light as expected. The brake lights switchs off as normal

May be this observation may give you some clues. If the brake pedal is pressed down and only THEN the the ignition switched on and the car started, the warning lights function normally whether the parking brake is pulled up or pushed down (ON or cancelled).

If the car is started without pressing the brake pedal but with the parking brake pulled up, and the brake pedal is pressed immediately after, both warning lights come On and do not go off until the ignition is switched off

As I have said earlier the problem does not arise when the parking brake is pushed down ( cancelled position. In this situaton pressing the brake pedal does not light up the brake light nor the parking brake lamp

One other observation made yesterday is that when I press the brake pedal before the cluster of indicator lamps for doors including the brake light i.E within approx 2 secs on turning ignition key, the brake light comes on and does not do off until ignition is switched off
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
You said "lights" many times.

Are you saying that both
the light for brake failure/ parking brake / low fluid.
And
the light for a problem with the rear brake light bulbs.

Come on and stay on?
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 9:27 PM
DR I A ISMAIL
I an sincerely sorry I keep confusing you with my descriptions

Yes When I referred to the lights remaining ON they include both the Parking Brake Lamp and the Brake Lamp. It is only when both lights remain on that the parking brake switch becomes ineffective and loses it control of the parking brake indicator lamp.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 10:50 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
This is where I am going to have to withdraw.

I do not have schematics that cover your car.

And from my experience with the few European cars I've worked on. The warning light that lets you know you have a brake light out, and the warning light that lets you know you have a malfunction are not tied to each other at all.

You might take a look to see if all of the rear brake light bulbs work.
And that they are all the correct bulb, all #1157 and no one as stuck a #2057 in its place (your bulb numbers may be different as it is not a US car)
And make sure all of the grounds are good for the sockets to the rear lights.

If you can provide me a schematic for your car, I will be more than happy to study it.

At this time, I have no more help to offer.

I will say that I do not think you are having a brake safety issue at this time.
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 11:09 PM