1992 Honda Accord battery light stumble

STEVEAL01
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
1992 Honda Accord 4 cyl Automatic 317000 miles

I have noticed from time to time that for some reason my battery light, lights up or flashes from time to and even all lmy lights dim. This does not happen all the time. Battery & alternator was replaced about 6 months back. Had auto zone test both but state battery & alternator are running good. Could this light be linked to anything else and or is this just strickly the dummy light just for battery & alternator going bad?
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 8:56 AM

BRUCE HUNT
With the light coming on and others dimming, this is not a dummy reporting. I suspect one of two things. First let me ask if it occurs often and if not does it appear to be happening more often? Any predictablility on the occurances? Such as colder weather, etc.

The first thing I would look at are the connections.

Then, even though the alternator tests good at Autozone, you might still suspect the alternator as the culprit. Was the alternator used, rebuilt or new?
I have had better luck with used alternators and new than I have with rebuilt ones.
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 9:03 AM
STEVEAL01
I notice more during Early monring hours when I am off to work (4am) (colder). Sometimes when jsut approaching 3500-4000rpm, the battery light will barely come on and other times flashes. From time to time when this heppens, all my lights will dim and remains for about 30 miles or so. The volt meter on my radio does indicate a voltage drop from 13.8 to about 11.4 or so. I also notice at times on my way back home (afternoon) radio read out does show drops and up and down readings. But all auto zone states it that the radio readings are not accurate and must me a short on the car, but I think he's just clueless. I told him if there were a short somewhere, I would be blowing fueses, which of course not happening. Should I take elsewhere to have tested?
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 2:02 PM