1991 HONDA ACCORD OIL BURN-OFF

• Riczander
  • 1991 Honda Accord

1991 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 194000 miles

When I drive the car, it idles at very low RPMs (250-500) and will occasionally die at a stoplight. From a stop, it will not get up to speed until about 20-30 seconds of fully depressing the gas pedal. I've replaced the spark plugs, and found white scoring on the plugs, and I've also discovered oil in the #3 cylinder. (That plug has black, sooty deposits on it) I've learned that the PCV valve was recently replaced due to being stuck open by sludge. My question is what problems -other- than a broken piston ring could be causing oil to get into the cylinder? The car shakes severely at idle RPMs, probably due to it not running correctly, oil is being burnt off rapidly (puffs of smoke can be seen issuing from the tailpipe) Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 11:56 AM

• KHLow2008

Hi Riczander,

If the plug is sooty and not very oily, then it should not be oil, it could be non firing due to valve leakages. Check the valve clearances.

The oil burning is most probably due to the valve seals.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 12:43 PM