1990 Honda Accord Rough idle and studders after sitting in

LOGANSWOODS
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive 165k miles

I have done a basic tune up on the car and replaced the valve cover gasket. The car idles rough when in any gear but park and neutral. It idles and runs fine when moving. If I sit at a light very long in gear the car looses power after starting to accelerate. The engine is running but the car just coasts. Giving it gas has no reaction. Usually it eventually picks back up and goes after a few seconds. I have been shifting to neutral when stopped so that it does not idle rough. The car is automatic.
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 2:50 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi loganswoods,

What is the idling speed in neutral and D?
Do you have hesitation problem?
Is the Check Engine Lamp showing?
Did you adjust the valve clearance during the tune up?
Do you have any overheating problem?
Any repairs done prior to this happening?
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM
LOGANSWOODS
The idle speed in neutral is about 750.
The idle speed in drive is about 725.
There is no hesitation problem unless the car is cold.
The only lamp on is the Brake Light.
The Check Engine light is not on.
I did not adjust the valve clearance. Just plugs, fuel filter, cap, rotor button. The plug wires looked good.
There is no overheating problem.
The previous owner stated no repairs other than routine maintanence.

If you don't warm the car up to operating temp. Before shifting to drive or reverse, it will almost always die or have the hesitation/ no power problem.
But even after warming up, it has a rough idle when in gear and sitting still. Once moving there is no excessive vibration.
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 9:52 AM
KHLOW2008
The vibration seems to be from the engine mounts. The hesitation durng cold mean the plug wires might not be good. Get the wires ohmed, they should have continuity with not more than 25 k ohms resistance.

Did you check the ignition timing?
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 1:39 PM
LOGANSWOODS
I was already suspecting the engine mounts as the problem with the vibration but I am not sure which one needs replaced. I had someone watch the engine as I went from neutral to reverse then forward. They said it shifts forward and back quite a bit. So I am guessing that it is probably the rear motor mount. According to the manual it is fluid filled. I may have to pay someone to replace that.

I checked the wires with a Fluke and got omh's readings ranging from 920 - 2500. I will replace the wires over the weekend. I just assumed that they were good judging by their experior condition but I guess the interior can deteriorate also.

Thanks for your help.
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 2:10 PM