1990 Honda Accord

HONDAGUY90EX
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

ive replaced a lot of old parts on my car with new parts but I can not find any information on my oxygen sensor heater ive replaced the o2 sensor but I now need to replace the heater what is this heater?Where is the heater?How do I replace it properly so my check engine light will go off?How do I fix dtc #41?
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 12:33 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi HONDAGUY90EX,

For this model it is known as the HO2S and is located on the exhaust before the catlytic converter. It js below the intake manifold.

The O2 sensor that you have replaced should be IT, does it have 4 wires?

Did you test the wiring circuit?
-1
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 4:15 PM
HONDAGUY90EX
Yes it has 4 wires but I did not test the wiring circuit. Should I?
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi,

Here are the test procedures.

CODE 41 - OXYGEN (O2) SENSOR HEATER
1. Turn ignition off. Remove BACK-UP fuse in the under-hood relay box for 10 seconds to reset ECU. Start engine. Verify if CHECK ENGINE light is on and if LED is flashing Code 41. If LED is flashing Code 41, go to next step. If LED is not flashing Code 41, problem is intermittent. Check connections at the O2 sensor, related circuits and at the ECU.
2. Turn ignition off. Disconnect 4-wire connector from O2 sensor. Measure resistance between connector terminals "A" and "B" on O2 sensor. See Fig. 9 . If resistance is 15-20 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not 15-20 ohms, replace O2 sensor.
3. Check for continuity from each terminal of O2 sensor to ground. If continuity exists, replace O2 sensor. If continuity did not exist, check for continuity between O2 sensor terminal "A" and terminals "C" and "D" individually. See Fig. 9 . If continuity does not exist, go to next step. If continuity did exist, replace O2 sensor.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HO2S90Accord_1.jpg

4. Measure voltage between positive Yellow/Black terminal and negative Orange/Black terminal. If battery voltage does not exist, go to step 6). If battery voltage did exist, disconnect "A" connector at ECU. Measure voltage between positive Yellow/Black terminal and negative Orange/Black.
5. If there is now battery voltage, repair short in Orange/Black wire between ECU terminal A6 and O2 sensor. If battery voltage did not exist, substitute a known good ECU. If condition is corrected, replace original ECU.
6. Measure voltage between Yellow/Black terminal and ground. If battery voltage does not exist, repair open in Yellow/Black wire between O2 sensor and main relay. If battery voltage did exist, turn ignition off. Reconnect 4-wire connector to O2 sensor.
7. Connect ECU Test Harness connector "Ax to main harness, not ECU. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between terminal A6 (positive) and A23 (negative). If battery voltage does not exist, repair open in Orange/Black wire between ECU terminal A6 and O2 sensor. If battery voltage did exist, substitute a known good ECU. If condition is corrected, replace original ECU.

Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 8:16 AM
HONDAGUY90EX
What is the proper way to wire my new o2 sensor(4-wire o2 sensor)?I think I dont have it hooked up right.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 10:19 PM
KHLOW2008
The 4 wires on the O2 sensor are from 2 circuits and the Heated O2 sensor circuit would have resistance whereas, OEM wire color are black.

If you follow the above test procedures, you would be able to find the correct wiring.
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 7:19 AM
HONDAGUY90EX
Thanx 4 all the helpful information I really appreciate it.I have 1 more problem is the stabilizer bar the same as a sway bar (not the steering stabilizer)b/c I have a loud vibrating noise from the front left tire but it is not the tire I checked it out and all the buschings are gone so I looked in the repair book and it called it the stabilizer bar but my good friend took a look at it and he said that it was a sway bar but im not sure b/c the book calls it something different what is a stabilizer bar?
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 6:14 PM
KHLOW2008
You are welcomed.

Sway bar and stabilizer bar are the same, it is a term used differently by the Japanese and British.

The stabilizer/sway bar links bushes when worn would cause the symptoms described. A simple job with simple parts would solve the problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FrtSuspension90Accord_1.jpg

Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
HONDAGUY90EX
Thanks now I have 1 new dtc code #43 do you know what it is?
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 8:43 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi,

CODE 43 - FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM
1. Turn ignition off. Remove BACK-UP fuse in the under-hood relay box for 10 seconds to reset ECU. Start engine and warm to normal operating temperature (cooling fan comes on). Raise engine speed to 3000 RPM and hold for 2 minutes. Verify if CHECK ENGINE light is on and if LED is flashing Code 43.1f LED is flashing Code 43, go to next step. If LED is not flashing Code 43, problem is intermittent. Check connections at O2 sensor, related circuits and at ECU.

2. Turn ignition off. Connect ECU Test Harness between ECU and connector. Wait at least 2 minutes with ignition off. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between terminals D14 (positive) and A26 (negative) as soon as ignition is turned on. If less than.1 volt is present when ignition is first turned on, got to step 4). If more than.1 volt was present, go to next step.

3. Disconnect 4-wire connector from O2 sensor. Measure voltage at O2 sensor connector between terminal "C" (negative) and "D" (positive). If voltage is more than.1 volt, replace O2 sensor. If voltage was less than.1 volt, repair open in White wire between ECU terminal D14 and O2 sensor.

4. Disconnect 4-wire connector from O2 sensor. Measure voltage between terminals D14 (positive) and A26 (negative). If voltage is more than.1 volt, replace O2 sensor. If voltage was less than.1 volt, disconnect test connector "D" from main wire harness.

5. Measure voltage between terminals D14 (positive) and A26 (negative) If voltage is more than.1 volt, repair short in White wire between ECU terminal D14 and O2 sensor. If voltage was less than.1 volt, substitute a known good ECU. If condition is corrected, replace original ECU.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 7:17 AM