1987 Honda Accord Brake caliper

RUSTEN
  • 1987 HONDA ACCORD
I can not change the front wheel outside brake pad. I can change the inside pad by bleeding the brakes. But the entire caliper won't slide out far enough to put on a new pad. I have tried to loosen the bolt that the caliper swings on but it won't move, even with vice grips. Is there any tricks you know to loosen the bolt, or will I just have to cut it?
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 2:25 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Rusten,

The slider bolt should and MUST be able to move freely, failing which the pads would wear unevenly and brake performance would be bad.

Which is stuck, upper or lower bolt? Try spraying some rust remover and let it soak for a while.
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 12:18 PM
RUSTEN
The top bolt is stuck. I have had to use old pads from other Honda's because new ones are just barely too big. I have taken clamps and tried to squeeze it loose, but no luck. I'll try using the rust remover. Is there any brand you recommend?
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 7:26 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Rusten,

Since the bolt is stuck tight, you might need to replace the caliper assy because after removing the bolt, there might be excessive wear resulting in too much clearance and this might cause rattling when going over slight bumps. I believe a used caliper from the scrap yard won't cost you much but availability might be a problem.

I use Wurth, ROST OFF and find that it is a good product. Spray and let it soak for at least 30 mins. Flip the caliper up and down to work it loose. If the caliper works itself loose from the slider bolt, it would be difficult to get any leverage. The slider bolt has a small hex area which you can try getting a open end spanner to get the leverage for twisting.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 5:49 AM