1985 Honda Accord fuel pump

JCFARBER
  • 1985 HONDA ACCORD
Dear friends,

My 1985 Honda Accord is running pretty good considering it has 211000 miles. No major overhauls or parts, but exhaust, tires and spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button.

However, it still idles rough as if it cannot find 750 rpm. Also, I hear a distinct ticking in the region of the gas tank like a grandfather ticking. The car has somewhat poor take off and acceleration but once going, it runs good getting around 30mpgs.

Along with the rough idle is a smell of gas like it is running 'rich'. We have noticed that when the clicking sound is noticed, the carburetor shoots gas into the chamber.

My question is: Is the fuel pump going and getting weak, and if it is, is it a big job to replace it? Considering it's in the gas tank.

Thanks,
jcfarber
Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 AT 6:52 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi jcfarber,

The fuel pump is located at lower front of the rear Left wheel arch and it is not a rotary type so there will be a ticking noise when it is operating. This is normal. Replacement does not require removal of fuel tank.

Rough idling could be due to many factors.
1. Different compression of cylinders.
2. Bad spark plugs, wires etc.
3. Leaking vacumn lines
4. Faulty/out of adjustment carburettor
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 1:20 PM