Loss of power

JMTP
  • 2007 MAZDA MILLENIA
I was turning right on red light I accelerated to go faster and the car started to slow down, the steering wheel did not really lock, but you need to use all your strength to turn it, same with the brake pedal. Turned car off, will not start even with a jump twice, it will not turn over, the air conditioner blows, but not cool, the radio still works, the windows roll down, the charge battery light came on and the check engine light on (has always been on last mechanic said it was a sensor and that it will always be on). When I put my foot on the acceleration pedal the car does not make any noises.
Friday, May 13th, 2016 AT 5:37 PM

Are you saying the engine simply stalled? That will cause loss of power steering and power brakes; not loss of all steering or all brakes, just so we are clear.

If the "Battery" light was on, the generator / charging system failed and you were running on the battery. It is going to run dead in less than an hour, depending on how many lights and other electrical systems are in use. At that point a jump-start might not be enough to get the engine started. You may need to leave the jumper cables on for a good 15 to 20 minutes. A better alternative is to use a battery charger to charge the battery at a slow rate for an hour so you can drive the car to a repair shop to have the charging system tested.

You should not be working with a mechanic who says it is normal for the Check Engine light to be on all the time. First of all. If a second problem develops, how would you ever know since the light is already on? A lot of very minor problems can turn into real expensive ones if they're ignored long enough.

Second, the Engine Computer is constantly watching for problems, but if a fault has already been detected, any other tests that use that defective circuit for reference will be suspended since the computer knows it can't rely on bad readings to compare other things to. Once you get the first problem fixed, those other tests will resume, and that's when a different problem will be detected. The Check Engine light might come right back on again. The mechanic won't know an additional problem exists until he fixes the first one, then he has to tell you more parts or services are needed. We really hate having to do that and it's frustrating for car owners too. You assume, incorrectly, that the car wasn't diagnosed properly the first time, but the mechanic had no way of knowing there were other problems.
Friday, May 13th, 2016 AT 5:52 PM