Heater

NANCYPOOL
  • 2009 DODGE CARAVAN
When running my heater on the highway my temperature gauge will start going towards cold. When it gets to the C mark the heater starts blowing cold air and the ETC light comes on. I can pull over and stop and let the car idle for awhile and the temperature needle moves back to normal and the air is warm again. But the light doesn't go off until I turn the car off and back on again. It will run OK for awhile and then does it again. Do you know what is going on and what to do about it? Signed cold and confused.
Saturday, April 20th, 2013 AT 8:43 PM

That would be typical of the thermostat failing to close. It needs to stop the coolant from circulating to give it time to warm up. When it sticks open the heat is given off by the radiator too quickly. The heater core in the dash is a small radiator and is also removing heat from the coolant. Have the thermostat replaced. That's a pretty inexpensive job.
Saturday, April 20th, 2013 AT 9:15 PM